amuck-landowner

Reserving Disk Space you Purchased from the Oversold VPS providers

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Right on, I take overselling personally. I don't care who the company is doing it. If they are, their name is mud and should be smeared. People joining together? Not really. If I intended that I would have started Occupy VPS and we could hang out and shoot the breeze and protest outside colo facilities while not bathing and doing lots of intoxicating substances.
Sign me up.  Lets hang out in front of ColoCrossing Buffalo first.

Now in all fairness, I long ago put crypto'd volumes on remote VPSes. Was part of my normal setup. So I've been allocating disk blocks (then 10GB+ single files) for a while selectively (where working on crypto related matters and right resouces --- disk, IO, location, reliability, etc.) Same appearance and net outcome per se.
That seems like an epic waste of time on OpenVZ.  With the rest of them, overcommiting disk is a lot more difficult, so I doubt it's going on.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Right on, I take overselling personally.   I don't care who the company is doing it.  If they are, their name is mud and should be smeared.
Count us in on that and proud of it. I've got two OpenVZ nodes that are darn near oversold capacity right now and here's what it looks like:

DallasOne: 15GB Used / 64GB Total, 3.7 Load Average, 0% iowait, 1029pps udp/tcp combined, 665GB of 1.8TB used (probably about 200GB of it my own waste)

DallasTwo: 20GB Used / 64GB Total, 0.61 Load Average, 0.1% iowait, 2947pps udp/tcp combined, 608GB of 1.8TB used (again probably a couple hundred gb of trash to clean)

That overselling, it's hurting a lot as you can see. Imagine how many people can use their full resources without me having an issue. Especially considering the highest RAM container I sell is 2GB. If they don't all join in some scheme to try to hurt me, there is literally no way that anyone is going to have a problem without me noticing a trend far beforehand and doing my job.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcaleb

This thread was made to encourage people to put an end to overselling by forcing providers into submission on that particular point you just mentioned. Yes you should be able to use it. No you should not try to encourage people to break a viable model just because you can, and no a host shouldn't have to bend over and take it if they see as plain as day that not a gigabyte has been transferred and suddenly 60 people all need 100GB of storage space in the same week.
Encouraging people to punish oversellers, I agree this is very gray area.

Personally, I will not do what was suggested in this thread, unless for review or other goal that will be helpful later. But I wish to have the option to be able to do this, in my own accord, if ever I wanted to in the future.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
That overselling, it's hurting a lot as you can see. Imagine how many people can use their full resources without me having an issue.

See you might have oversold (i.e. all buyers can't use all their resources at once), but you stop there at your ratio and observe the often idle resources.

Others see that, and say, well, why stop at 3X, let's go to 5X  and up and up until things become truly bad.

I think morally you get the balance.  That's why I think so darn highly of you :)  Others in the industry just laugh and lie about their over used servers.  They  probably think you are fool who could load those servers up more and get more sales in the register.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Encouraging people to punish oversellers, I agree this is very gray area.

Personally, I will not do what was suggested in this thread, unless for review or other goal that will be helpful later. But I wish to have the option to be able to do this, in my own accord, if ever I wanted to in the future.
The fun thing about theory and practice is... I know you. If you choose to use Catalyst for something big, feel free and watch it fly. If you're using it, I know you need it. I try to be that way with as many clients as will let me. Our prices have gone up in hopes of sustaining that forever.

jcaleb

It is still a probabilistic/statistical game. Even if we post this kind of thread many times, I doubt it will make a big impact.

The fun thing about theory and practice is... I know you. If you choose to use Catalyst for something big, feel free and watch it fly. If you're using it, I know you need it. I try to be that way with as many clients as will let me. Our prices have gone up in hopes of sustaining that forever.
Of course, I love and respect the host I sign up with.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Damnit Jarland. Too much to quote and reply to. So I am just not going to respond :).

GOOD DAY! Happy monday to y'all!

maounique

We are also overzellers and damn proud of it :)

We sell 2x almost on OVerZold plans and we have some 30+ % free memory and 1/4 cpu usage.

There is still place to grow, the machines are underused.

We allow every customer to go up in load to 4 (number of cores) but since this thread i thinking to startshutting down and suspending those that go over that consistently or in very large spikes. I have all right to do so, as the customers have all right to use all resources.

If we are to be jerks and I will boot you without refund if you have 4.01 load, by all means, fight back and fill the disk in return. We will see who is "winning" if you think this is a way to conduct business, then, by all means, try to use all resources and never go over your quota.

Instead of doing each of us our job, me watching so you have ALWAYS available the resources you paid for (even on OVerZold plans) and you using the vps for whatever legit purpose including bursting over quota now and then when needed, we can waste the time making each other's life difficult.

When you will be on your death bed, wouldnt you give anything for the time you wasted trying to do harm (and failing, by the way) and go out for a walk in the forest or park ?

So, instead of trying to make people waste time and resources, go now and smell a few flowers, help the needy, do something useful and/or enjoyable.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Time for this week's new rounds of drama! :popcorn:
Got 2 corporate meeting, another staff meeting because we have new craps coming in and new targets to fulfill, then a 2 day trip to Connecticut and the sad part, none of these are hosting related. So no time for drama. Not atleast this week.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Considering I'm one of very few even weighing in,
And that's the point that too many people missed. Consider the providers that have weighed in on this issue - pretty much the upstanders with few complaints that don't have to worry about people making legitimate claims about oversell.

Conversely, it makes me wonder about the folks that haven't spoken up. Honestly have no opinion on an issue that effects pretty much everyone? Or just trying as hard as possible not to draw attention to themselves for this particular topic?

jcaleb

Conversely, it makes me wonder about the folks that haven't spoken up. Honestly have no opinion on an issue that effects pretty much everyone? Or just trying as hard as possible not to draw attention to themselves for this particular topic?
Host who massively oversell wants this thread to be as tiny as possible

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
So what is the most likely ratio that people are over selling here? Based on the e3s with 32gb - 2:1 4:1? Quite shocking really especially if your counting people selling 2gb under 7usd a month cough... cvps.

Disk space being oversold isn't new at all its happened for years, generally people use under 15gb heck probably less, you will see more usage from people running cpanel along with multiple sites than a good 80% of your other clients that's not even taking into count how much is actually allocated to the vps.

Btw openvz isn't all so bad if you take all the over sellers out of it it don't mean its a bad platform at all.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So what is the most likely ratio that people are over selling here? Based on the e3s with 32gb - 2:1 4:1? Quite shocking really especially if your counting people selling 2gb under 7usd a month cough... cvps.

Looking at the CVPS data, two servers in Atlanta that were oversold at 9-10:1.   Assumption there is we are dealing with 32GB RAM servers like they historically have used and not 128GB RAM servers like Chris said somewhere on here.

jcaleb

Looking at the CVPS data, two servers in Atlanta that were oversold at 9-10:1.   Assumption there is we are dealing with 32GB RAM servers like they historically have used and not 128GB RAM servers like Chris said somewhere on here.
150 x 2GB customers on 32GB server?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
50 x 2GB customers on 32GB server?

Ahh worse than sort of.  They have 3GB plans too.  Mostly 2GB plans and a handful of 1GB plans... Totals:

+--------+---------+----------+--------------+

| nodeid | name    | vservers | ram          |

+--------+---------+----------+--------------+

|    110 | atl2    |      183 |          372 |

|    109 | atl1    |      161 |          317 |

jcaleb

Ahh worse than sort of.  They have 3GB plans too.  Mostly 2GB plans and a handful of 1GB plans... Totals:   +--------+---------+----------+--------------+ | nodeid | name    | vservers | ram          | +--------+---------+----------+--------------+ |    110 | atl2    |      183 |          372 | |    109 | atl1    |      161 |          317 |
that's a lot... are memory sticks that expensive not to upgrade to 128gb? or hardware too old?

maounique

We have E3 nodes we used for SSD-only offerings as well as Biz plans (KVM and OVZ). Since they are 8 in 3u, were good for the purpose.

amuck-landowner