amuck-landowner

Review of the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

GIANT_CRAB

Heard from @Boltersdriveer that it was pretty good too.

Maybe Colocrossing should use these instead because they can't afford others. (According to benchmarks, it showed that they were even better than expensive CISCO and Jupiner routers)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I love those ER Lites! We had 2 in Tampa (VRRP) and they were amazing. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Vyatta so having a hardware router running Vyatta was a win-win for us since our scripts ported over without any changes.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Pretty awesome, did you get a good deal on it?
Yeah, I spent just what it is worth on Amazon plus I had some credit on Amazon from a promo so in total I payed about $70 for it. :)

Heard from @Boltersdriveer that it was pretty good too.

Maybe Colocrossing should use these instead because they can't afford others. (According to benchmarks, it showed that they were even better than expensive CISCO and Jupiner routers)
In some ways it's better, in others not as much.

I love those ER Lites! We had 2 in Tampa (VRRP) and they were amazing. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Vyatta so having a hardware router running Vyatta was a win-win for us since our scripts ported over without any changes.
I saw your posts before and I liked what I saw so I tried em out. They're awesome!

ServerBros

Verified Provider
We have one in our colo in Manchester, lovely piece of kit - finally some decent GUI compared to the bog standard!

bdtech

Anyone use this is their primary router for VPS hosts? Can you make a pair of these highly available?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
We were running 2 in our Tampa cabinet with 7 VPS nodes pushing 70-100Mbps without issue. VRRP worked perfect (minus IPv6).

concerto49

Verified Provider
Sadly even the highest end model that is now released doesn't have 10G ports. At least there's SFP.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
I'm not Kujoe but yes it does.
Well, im asking if it does *well* running BGP, Just because you can "conf t | router bgp #" doesnt mean it can handle full bgp tables. I see that it does have 512MB of ram, but i'm not sure if that is enough. @KuJoe do you run BGP on them?

shovenose

Verified Provider
Well, im asking if it does *well* running BGP, Just because you can "conf t | router bgp #" doesnt mean it can handle full bgp tables. I see that it does have 512MB of ram, but i'm not sure if that is enough. @KuJoe do you run BGP on them?
Well, again, I'm not KuJoe but I know somebody who uses these quite seriously so to speak and it does well at BGP.

Wintereise

I really doubt this will do fulltable BGP, and actually be able to hold onto that.

tl;dr: Go get routerboards if you need el cheapo BGP routers.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I'm just running static routes as well.

I know of others in the ubiquiti community who are using it for BGP in a production environment and apparently it works well.

amuck-landowner