amuck-landowner

RocketVPS migration from Reston, VA to Baltimore, MD

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Got this email earlier tonight, just now getting caught up on communications from the weekend...

Dear RocketVPS Customer,

This email is to inform you that your VPS has been successfully migrated from our facility in Reston, VA to our newly outfitted facility in Baltimore, MD. Along with this migration new IPs have been assigned, and active licenses (cPanel & Softaculous) if purchased have been removed from your old IPs and assigned to your new ones. You may need to refresh licenses you have within the application using them. For example, your cPanel license can be refreshed by running "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/cpkeyctl" via SSH as root.

Your new IP(s) are as follows (primary IP is the first one):
162.246.XX.XX

The following old IPs will be removed from your account in seven (7) days:
173.245.XX.XX

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this email and it will automatically open a ticket with our support department.

Regards,
RocketVPS Support    
I guess I overlooked the email from earlier this month sent on the 3rd...

Dear MannDude,

We are excited to announce an update in services for all of our clients. We will be performing upgrades on the underlying VPS infrastructure to ensure that all of our equipment and our networks stay up to date with the latest hardware and technology to guarantee the best user experience possible for our valued customers. This includes upgrading back end servers powering our VPS systems, upgrades to our network infrastructure equipment, power distribution equipment and our network connectivity.

To achieve these goals this will include a relocation of our customers from our facility in Reston, VA to our newly outfitted facility in Baltimore, MD. This transition allows us to provide you with a much broader mix of bandwidth ensuring stable and fast connections each and every time.

The mix of bandwidth includes direct connections to multiple Tier I providers such as Level3 and Zayo as well as direct connections with Comcast and Time Warner Inc.

During this migration we will be assigning all customers new IP addresses from blocks directly assigned to RocketVPS. This will allow us to provide you with a much better experience and ensure we can maintain the IP reputation of our entire network with more accuracy. We will be working with each of you individually during this migration process to ensure as little downtime as possible is experienced by our customers.

We will be offering two different migration options to our customers as well and you will find details on how this process will work below.

Option 1: Direct VPS migration and IP swap.

This will be our default method for migrating a customer's VPS. We will utilize the features provided within the OpenVZ platform to perform the migration with as little downtime as possible. Your VPS may require a brief period of downtime for the final synchronization of files but we anticipate this to be between 1 - 3 minutes for most VPS's. If you have a large number of inodes within your VPS this process may take slightly longer. Due to the varying nature of these migrations it will not be possible to give you an exact time when your VPS may experience the brief reboot as a result of the migration.

Once the VPS has been migrated to the hardware located at the new facility your IP traffic will be tunneled from VA to the new MD facility. This requires changing the default MTU of your network settings from 1500 to 1400. We will make this change automatically for you, however, bear in mind since the tunnel will be temporary this will not be a permanent change and would be lost if you reboot your VPS. Should this happen after your VPS has been migrated you can restore stable network connectivity by logging into your customer control panel using the Java console to reset the MTU back to 1400. A sample command would be "ifconfig venet0 mtu 1400 up" which will change the MTU until reboot.

After your VPS is online and the traffic is being tunneled we will then assign new IP addresses to your VPS. One of these new addresses will be assigned as the primary IP for your VPS. You will receive an email notifying you of the new replacement IP addresses. During this time we will allow both the old and new IP addresses to run side by side on your VPS. We will allow 7 days for you to shift your configurations on your VPS from using the old IP addresses to the new IP addresses before the old IP addresses will be removed from your VPS.

Important Note: If you have multiple VPS packages with us they may not be migrated at the same time. Due to the network tunnel that will be in place a migrated VPS will not be able to communicate with a VPS that is still in VA. To over come this we can add static routes between the two VPS's to ensure consistent communication between them. If you have two or more VPS's that need to communicate with each other during this transfer please send an email to [email protected] and let us know which IP addresses need to be able to communicate. For example:

127.0.0.1 <---> 127.0.20.5

This will allow us to ensure minimal interruption to you or your clients during this process.

Option 2: Provision a replacement VPS

This is an alternative method for migrating your VPS. We will provide you with a VPS install in the new datacenter and cPanel license (if used) on the new IP space. This will allow you to perform a standard migration as if you were moving to a new server. Some customers may wish to take advantage of this as a time to update any older VPS installs to newer base operating systems. We will provide this new VPS for a period of 7 days to allow for your migration after which your old VPS will be taken offline.

If you would like to select this option to have a separate VPS provisioned so you may handle your own migration please login to your user account at https://my.rocketvps.com and navigate to Services >> My Services. Then you will want to click on "View Details" for each VPS you would like to be handled this way. Once you are on the View Details page, select the "Addons" tab and select "Click to view avaliable addons". Once here you will see the Addon for the Replacement migration, apply this to your account. In this section it will ask for payment details, since the addon is free of charge simply select "Paypal" as your payment method.

We will scan all account data before the migration and send you an email with your new VPS's login information for you to begin the migration. This add on must be assigned to your account before 4/12/2014 to allow us for proper processing time.

The overall migration will begin 4/14/2014 however this will be a staged migration on a per node basis so clients who are being migrated using Option 1 will begin on 4/14/2014 and once the VPS has been migrated you will receive an email notifying you of your new IP addresses. Any client choosing to move using Option 2 should expect to see their replacement VPS information emailed to them between 4/12/2014 and 4/21/2014 depending upon the number of requests we receive for this migration option. We do understand that this is a large change but it is needed to facilitate the further expansion of the RocketVPS brand by providing additional hardware and network capacity. All of us here at RocketVPS are committed to making this move as painless as possible for our customers.

If you have any questions regarding this migration please feel free to contact us via the support help desk at https://my.rocketvps.com or via email [email protected]

Sincerely
RocketVPS Management Team.
www.rocketvps.com

peterw

They handle it not bad. They sent the email on the 3rd and begin migration on the 14th. I don't understand their temporary tunnel approach which disapears on vps reboot. And they move only 56miles so they care a bit about local clients.

sv01

Slow but sure
I love rocketvps service but I must left them since they don't offer HD/space only upgrade.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I love rocketvps service but I must left them since they don't offer HD/space only upgrade.
Probably because it would cost them more to offer you that than for you to just upgrade your package to the next level.

Last edited by a moderator:

WSWD

Verified Provider
I thought this had happened ages ago, but I just realized it's the RocketVPS brand.  From what I was told the KH move went pretty flawlessly.  That's what happens when you aren't being evicted and run out of your datacenter.  You have time to plan for these things. :D

amuck-landowner