amuck-landowner

Rsyncing /vz/private to other OVZ6 node, how?

ICPH

Hello,

i have tried to rsync one OpenVZ 6 VPS from node server to another using rsync:

rsync -Pavz /node1/vz/private/3710 /vz/private/3710
rsync -avz /node1/etc/vz/conf/3710 /etc/vz/conf/3710

but when tried to start destination VPS, i faced issues with TTy, /dev/null error. And others so i resigned to the rsync way.

Were You successful to rsync OpenVZ VPS by rsyncing private? What is needed to make it working?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
What I'd suggest then is creating an OS template and deploying that. Trying to manually copy OVZ containers just typically ends in tragedy - best case scenario, you end up with a ton of extra work trying to find all of the little things you missed along the way just to get the thing to boot.

ICPH

creating an OS template and deploying that
I used HyperVM to create ostemplate, that one worked to be restored into new CT @ OpenVZ 6 by vzctl, but at OpenVZ 7 the result is:

# vzctl --verbose create 1000 --ostemplate centos-6-x86-CT1120 --config basic
running: /usr/sbin/vzpkg info -q --config ve-basic.conf-sample --ostemplate centos-6-x86-CT1120 --vefstype ext4
Error: Nothing to do
Error: Nothing to do
Error: Failed to install the template(s):
Error: centos-6-x86-CT1120-ez
Error: centos-6-x86-CT1120-x86_64-ez
Error: Failed to convert the precreated cache /vz/template/cache/centos-6-x86-CT1120.tar.gz
Error: Unable to find ostemplate: centos-6-x86-CT1120
# ls -l /vz/template/cache/centos-6-x86-CT1120.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 764520763 Aug 4 15:18 /vz/template/cache/centos-6-x86-CT1120.tar.gz

OpenVZ 7 using prlctl to create template so i am unsure about template compatibility between VZ v. 6 and v. 7.

ICPH

What about vzdump and vzrestore, do those work on ovz7?
no, these does not work on VZ7 from what i tried.
/etc/init.d/vz: No such file or directory
Error: OpenVZ is not running on the target machine
"consider switching to pmigrate utility"

amuck-landowner