amuck-landowner

Russian gang said to have collected over a BILLION stolen passwords.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
A Russian crime ring has amassed the largest known collection of stolen Internet credentials, including 1.2 billion user name and password combinations and more than 500 million email addresses, security researchers say.

The records, discovered by Hold Security, a firm in Milwaukee, include confidential material gathered from 420,000 websites, including household names, and small Internet sites. Hold Security has a history of uncovering significant hacks, including the theft last year of tens of millions of records from Adobe Systems.

Hold Security would not name the victims, citing nondisclosure agreements and a reluctance to name companies whose sites remained vulnerable. At the request of The New York Times, a security expert not affiliated with Hold Security analyzed the database of stolen credentials and confirmed it was authentic. Another computer crime expert who had reviewed the data, but was not allowed to discuss it publicly, said some big companies were aware that their records were among the stolen information.

Read more at the source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/technology/russian-gang-said-to-amass-more-than-a-billion-stolen-internet-credentials.html

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
Media seems to be running with this headline but it doesnt really sound like much of a story to me.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Last edited by a moderator:

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
LastPass is free as long as you pay the $12/yr for premium. They have a tool that runs any of your stored emails through leaks. They are also warning people if passwords were last updated prior to heartbleed etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I assumed that "1.2 billion passwords amassed" means "we concatenated a bunch of previous leak files together".

TekStorm - Walter

Yeah that is scary, thats why i try to change my pass word on everything on a regular basis and keep a close eye on everything that is important. I work to long and to hard to let some one to walk away with it.

fixidixi

yeah but they havent said those are a billion distinct passwords :)

could be select count(id),min(plaintext_pwd) from passwords
result: Password1 | billion :)

amuck-landowner