amuck-landowner

Seagate Hybrid drives with SSD enhancement - using them? SSHD

pcan

A few of our latest Dell desktops have them, the price surcharge over a regular drive was low. They feel like a regular HDD, slightly faster than usual. The most used applications such as Windows and Office will start in less time. Nothing to write home about, the drive is still a cheap 7200 RPM SATA, but the speed increase is noticeable and a nice plus on a Office PC. A tiny bit of the SSD is used as write cache, most of the SSD is used as read cache. You will find plenty of benchmarks on the web, should you need one. I never used this drive on a server, they obviously don't play nice with RAID.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Just using or intending to use one for a growing database archive I have.  SSDs are nice, but until the 1-2TB SSDs get closer to spinning rust, I just use SSDs as boot / system drives and some dev on such.  

Foregoing RAID for replication and backup dumps.   Since internal and no live  public piece, I can deal with lack of RAID

Steven F

Verified Provider
I'd like to see these in enterprise versions. Seagate has a SAS enterprise version, but I don't see a SATA enterprise version.

It's 600 GB SAS 15K with 32 GB eMLC for ~$1K a piece. Given that 800 GB S3500s are less, I can't imagine that is a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darwin

I use an old 2.5 brother (momentus xt) in a nb.

I don't have numbers, neither ran benchmarks, but that Nb starts faster than using a regular hdd. I will bet that with 8gb ssd it will work better than the one I have( only 4gb ssd)

Don't forget you aren't going to see ssd like speeds/io. It works as another cache. You will note great improvement if you use a couple off programs that read a lot of small files like a programming ide or play the same game over and over again (drive does a transparent cache, monitoring which blocks are being used a lot and move them to de ssd).

It is a small but decent improvement, but I wouldn't pay more than 30% over a regular hdd.

WSWD

Verified Provider
My new laptop came with one, which was quickly replaced with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro.  Yay!! 

They are definitely faster than standard drives when it comes to starting say Windows.  The manufacturer claimed a 2 second return from sleep/hibernate, and 20 second boot times.  It definitely did that, if not even quicker.

It's nothing like a SSD drive, but it's definitely somewhat faster than a regular drive.  As was said though...I'm not really sure I'd pay that much more for the drive.

Nikki

I use an old 2.5 brother (momentus xt) in a nb.

I don't have numbers, neither ran benchmarks, but that Nb starts faster than using a regular hdd. I will bet that with 8gb ssd it will work better than the one I have( only 4gb ssd)

Don't forget you aren't going to see ssd like speeds/io. It works as another cache. You will note great improvement if you use a couple off programs that read a lot of small files like a programming ide or play the same game over and over again (drive does a transparent cache, monitoring which blocks are being used a lot and move them to de ssd).

It is a small but decent improvement, but I wouldn't pay more than 30% over a regular hdd.
I believe I have the same drive in my media pc. It does indeed start faster, though there's not much of a noticable read/write improvement (not really expected with a hybrid drive, let alone one that has 4gb of ssd space in a 2.5" form factor), it makes restarting less painful and everything feel a bit faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

eva2000

I bought 2x ST2000DX001 to cheaply upgrade my dedicated work PC but seems it's own DFI X58 motherboard bios doesn't support it as cloned disk (used Paragon Hard Drive Suite Pro 15 and Seagate Disc Wizard 16) doesn't boot up and gets error can not read disk on boot up. But pluck the disk in my dual Xeon E5-2650v1 + Asus Z9PE-D8 motherboard the cloned disk boots up fine heh.

So long overdue for full upgrade for my work PC runs Intel Xeon W3550 Nehalem processor overclocked at 3.4Ghz :)

From reviews the Seagate hybrid 2TB give around 30-50% boost in response time/latencies compared to SATA disks.

So as long as your PC motherboard bios is fairly recent, you should be good to go I suspect.

amuck-landowner