amuck-landowner

Self-Hosted Web Proxy?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
What are some good choices for a self-hosted web proxy that works like anonymizer, et al?

In other words:

1. Fire up my web browser

2. Go to URL I'm hosting on a VPS.  Probably htaccess'd

3. Type in a URL

4. Browse the Interwebs

5. Bask in ultral33t secrecy

OK, step #5 can be skipped.  Mainly, I'm interested in not having proxy.my-employer.com show up when I'm browsing from work.  Not trying to do anything nefarious.

I'm aware of VPN, etc...looking for something that is exclusively port 80/443.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Glype yeah, that's the most common and up to date one, there's also PHProxy (I think also called phpMyProxy) and a tonne of older scripts, not all PHP based but for obvious reasons I would go with the newer and updated ones. I only really used these when I *really* had to, not ideal at all and break a lot of web-pages.

AuroraZero

Squid can do this as well. I am looking into this as well and have been using squid for it. Works okay but some sites just do not like it either.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Can always use a SSH tunnel from work to home... and jump out there to the world...

The web software proxies above are severely depreciated in usefulness today with all the javascrap and complexity that break / refuse to serve out to said proxies.  If you use such sites, those software solutions won't be sufficient.

There is also sshuttle which @MannDude is a fan of.

Erawan

I choose to use squid3 rather than Glype. Because our Glype installation can be indexed by Google or search engine, and many poeple will use it for free. ( If we don't set a whitelist or protection)

nunim

VPS Junkie
I choose to use squid3 rather than Glype. Because our Glype installation can be indexed by Google or search engine, and many poeple will use it for free. ( If we don't set a whitelist or protection)
You can disallow indexing, or as specified in the original post, setup HTTP auth.  Glype works fairly well, I haven't used it in awhile but PHP Proxys work fine for most websites.

Dylan

Glype works great. Just make sure you hide or protect it or once it gets out or your bandwidth will be used up like crazy.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Can always use a SSH tunnel from work to home... and jump out there to the world...

There are some web proxies that are impossible to ssh tunnel through.  Squid, etc. are fine but some of the Microsoft web proxies resist tunneling...or at least my attempts.

leto12

Verified Provider
You can use OpenVPN  on a little linux VPS.

It's easy to make and cost only 1 or 2$ a month if you take a small VPS.

amuck-landowner