amuck-landowner

Server and domain monitoring tool I made

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Aah I see well time to get back on-topic then ;-)
Project looks great. Installed the agent on an idle dev-vps and have it pinging a domain for monitoring too. Simple to use system and setup was as straight forward as it could be.

Good work.

nixstats

Project looks great. Installed the agent on an idle dev-vps and have it pinging a domain for monitoring too. Simple to use system and setup was as straight forward as it could be.

Good work.
Thanks! Currently working on a non-root monitoring agent. Simplicity was really important when developing nixstats :)

nixstats

Little update:

- non root agent is now online.

- group your servers

- public status page with custom CNAME domain and custom logo

- Server overview page has been improved, now it actually is an overview instead of just a list.

- Just crossed the 300 servers mark, 108 beta users and 184 domains.

Here's a screenshot of the overview page:

mKZ75wq.png

Now onto making a server availability function (probably combination of time last received agent data and pinging of the IP's).

Last edited by a moderator:

cspacews

Verified Provider
The UI is very sleek and attractive much on the new jquery!

Good work will try out in the weekend and let you know :D

nixstats

It's been a little over 2 weeks now since I've started the beta of nixstats. Monitoring almost 500 servers now!

I noticed yesterday in my mandrill account that I send about 1400 notifcation in 24 hours, seems like a lot :) If you guys have any feedback on the amount of notifications and if you noticed any false positives let me know.

Hope to cross the 500 servers mark today, 6 servers to go :)

AutoSnipe

Verified Provider
I've noticed some false positives when i selected downtime notifications. 

I was infact on the server which it was reporting as down and it had kept notifying as offline for ~30 minutes while i could ping your api etc.

But i have also installed this on a bare Dual L5520 with nothing on it, and it does take quite a bit of resources just gathering the information and sending reports (ie, load spikes up from 0.01 or so to over 2.00 Unsure if it's just this system or it is actually somewhat resource intensive for it gathering the information. but i currently have ~16 Servers hooked up.

But, unfortunately.. my RPi @ home can't be added due to some software it wanted to download not been part of the mirrors, and i'm just too lazy to compile it myself. But at least got my dev webserver (next to the RPi)  loaded up nicely :)

nixstats

I've noticed some false positives when i selected downtime notifications. 

I was infact on the server which it was reporting as down and it had kept notifying as offline for ~30 minutes while i could ping your api etc.

But i have also installed this on a bare Dual L5520 with nothing on it, and it does take quite a bit of resources just gathering the information and sending reports (ie, load spikes up from 0.01 or so to over 2.00 Unsure if it's just this system or it is actually somewhat resource intensive for it gathering the information. but i currently have ~16 Servers hooked up.

But, unfortunately.. my RPi @ home can't be added due to some software it wanted to download not been part of the mirrors, and i'm just too lazy to compile it myself. But at least got my dev webserver (next to the RPi)  loaded up nicely :)
There were some issues last weekend on the backend due too some infrastructure changes (db server was very slow and under heavy load). On most system it won't cause very high load, even on very low spec servers with 128mb ram it seems to run without much interruptions. It might cause some load since it pings for statistics on the system every second, might change this in the future to for example every 5 seconds.

I'll take a look into the false positive alerts, was the server in question pingable by it's IP or was ICMP blocked?

Anyways I've just changed some config issue that I forgot about a few days ago, which cause every request on nixstats to be fetched from a server about 15ms away from the frontend, made everything very slow, it's a lot faster now.

I can see some people running nixstats on RP's :) 

nixstats

Just implemented SMS notifications for both domains and servers, will be free of charge during the beta (fair use policy).

Monitoring almost 800 servers now, still looking for more beta testers :)

MightWeb-Greg

Verified Provider
I'm going to see about getting a server or two on there. It seems pretty good with the screenshots etc. Do you have any idea on prices after launch etc?

nixstats

I'm going to see about getting a server or two on there. It seems pretty good with the screenshots etc. Do you have any idea on prices after launch etc?

Cool! Not sure on pricing yet but planning to have a starting packing from $5-$10 per month with a few servers/domains included. Of course beta testers will get a bump up when signing up for paid package. There will also be a free plan with limited data retention.

For now I'm looking for some testers for a new python powered agent (requires python 2.7). This agent can monitor mdadm (software raid), nginx, apache and mysql. If you're willing to test the new agent sent me a PM/reply/or e-mail me at vincent at nixstats . com

(Monitoring 1200+ servers now!)

ATSLarry

How do we get an invite code to get started?  I would like to sign up now for Beta Testing.  I have alot of experience in Beta Testing and want to get in on this.  Can you please send me an Invite Code, so that I can sign up?

Thanks,
Larry

amuck-landowner