amuck-landowner

Servers being used

shawn_ky

So I have seen a lot of talk about dedicated servers and co-locating servers at one time or another. Many times the CPU, RAM and hard drive (RAID or SSD) are usually mentioned, but rarely does anyone actually speak of the server itself being used. What is everyone using? How many servers are some of the small companies actually using versus the larger companies? Just curious.  Another question I've wondered, are they being bought (when not leased) used, new, etc? (Hopefully always using new drives!)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Good question, the answer is going to vary greatly.

I'd say in most cases when renting a server, it's going to be used hardware. The CPU, RAM, and hard-drives were once probably used by someone else. Even some providers who own their hardware may use some used parts, or use a used server all together.

In fact, some 'large companies' still rent too, as it saves them cost on remote hands if they're not in a position to fix things themselves. Companies like Arvixe, for example, rent, and they've got 30,000+ clients and more servers you can shake a stick at.

EDIT: It should also be noted that there have been cases in the past where someone rents a server with data already on the drives... This is rare but a concern I'd have renting. To play it safe, probably best to remove your data before your lease expires and not rely on the DC / provider to do it for you, as like anything, people can mess up.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I'm on a used Dell SC24-SC on RTO with SouthBendServers.

Used servers are great because they are generally cheaper than new hardware and will last a very long time. This server is for some personal use as well as some client servers.

shawn_ky

While working as a server admin I used a lot of Dell Servers that were generally leased with buy option and cycled out every 3-4 years depending on what company and what we were dong with it. ALWAYS wiped drives if we didn't buy.

I can see why hosting would look at used servers -- have thought of it myself. :)

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I'm wondering how many hosting providers are looking at the Microcloud stuff from Supermicro.  I know Dell has a similar product that has been growing in popularity as well...

shawn_ky

They list Dallas and Houston as locations but not the DC. Another that doesn't list the server type as well.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Anyone know which datacenter Arvixe operates out of?
Softlayer.

Source: I used to work there.* They were with The Planet which merged with Softlayer.

*Arvixe, not Softlayer.

amuck-landowner