amuck-landowner

Setting up IPTables rules

memnarc

I'm new to linux and recently installed Linux Mint on my computer.  On Windows 7, I have a very good firewall that I trust and use on all my computers.  As far as I know, for linux, the firewall is built into the system and we only have to set up these "ip tables" rules?  What kind of rules should I implement?  The more secure the system the better.  I am using LInux as a bare-bones system for now. 

Thanks!

BlackoutIsHere

Verified Provider
The best way to secure your firewall is simply to drop ALL inbound connections that are not whitelisted. For example you might whitelist a port you want to be open but all others will remain closed.

switsys

If you're also looking for a simple and relaxing way to set these rules up; (as opposed to doing it the "hard and manly" way :)
then I suggest that you install webmin and just click your way through the 'network -> linux firewall'-section.

And then, if you feel you should tighten it up even further, still while laid back; you can look for pre-configured iptables rule-files.
There's always tons of people competing, looking to have the tightest possible firewall setup.

InfiniteTech

Verified Provider
If you are starting out, use Webmin's GUI interface for configuring iptables. It's easy to use and you'll learn how it works as well.

Then do as root:

# service iptables save

Open and read /etc/sysconfig/iptables (RH based Linux flavors)

Jeffrey

IPTables can become a mess if you don't know what you're doing.  I agree with the others, try managing it with a GUI like WebMin.

amuck-landowner