amuck-landowner

Sharing connection from Windows to Linux

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Firewall disabled completely... I know nothing about Windows and unsure if this is a very bad idea or not... I don't want the PC to be accessible to those in the neighborhood....

Removed the switch, ethernet cable barely long enough to connect the two without it in the middle. Was worried I was going to have to re-arrange and since it's 5AM that would have been me just going to bed instead.

Any ideas now? Linux PC can't ping the gateway but it can ping the Windows PC. Windows PC can ping the gateway. And the Windows PC and Linux PC can ping each other. Still no net on the Linux PC though. I'm still looking into it as well.

peterw

Firewall disabled completely... I know nothing about Windows and unsure if this is a very bad idea or not... I don't want the PC to be accessible to those in the neighborhood....
My assumption would be that it is a routing issue. The connection sharing should be using a different subnet for the link from the pc to the linux machine.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I wouldn't even know where to begin with diagnosing a routing issue. Networking is one of my major weaknesses, throw a Windows box in the mix and that's just a recipe for hearing me cuss :)

If it was just a basic setup with my raspberry pi and my linux desktop and laptop, I'd be good to go.  This is just frustrating though :)

eva2000

The one I have works on Linux but I literally get 1/10th the speed and it drops the connection often. I work a regular job remotely and can't have an unstable internet during my shift. I'm ordering a new adapter, but for now I need to get something rigged up.

Alternatively I could perhaps bridge the connection from my Linux laptop direct to my Linux PC... but that negates the point of having the laptop as I'd have to keep it on my desk so I can connect it via ethernet to my PC... Though I'd probably have to start a new thread for that too. :)
know how you feel considering i work 100% remotely too. I've gone as far as to have a spare router/switches and hdds on hand + mobile wifi router (prepaid sim) and local Brisbane VPS for VPN connections over wifi in case anything fails. Plan for the worse I say :D

Can't help with your networking issues, maybe just loan a usb wifi adaptor off a friend or if you have other pcs in the house, cannibalise one even if it's pci-e based from such a rig ?

Or just tell it like it is, and tell work you're having internet/pc problems you need to sort out.

edit: oh you can also just try virtualising your Windows PC and have a linux guest OS on it as backup :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
You don't bridge the connection on your windows if you want the linux to use internet over the Windows machine.

In windows it's called ICS or Internet Connnection Sharing. first of the Micrsoft explanation http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

Here are 4 images how to set it up, http://imgur.com/a/sdsNK the 4tyh image should show a second tab "Sharing" but I only have one NIC in that machine so it is not visible.

You should ofcourse share the wireless connection from your neighbour :) not the wired connection.

Using ICS will create a small DHCP server and give your other machines a dynamic IP with gateway and DNS settings to be used internally.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
1. Install VirtualBox & Debian VM

2. Add Bridged network connection with wlan0

3. Add Bridged network connection with eth0

4. Setup VM as a linux gateway

5. Prosper

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
Umm just use ICS :D

No need to fool with other crap.

All network connections should be plugged in before completing these steps, wifi on and authenticated + cable to other machine, be it linux/windows/mac/etc.

1.  Go to control panel.

2.  Click Network and Internet

3.  Click Network and Sharing Center

4.  Click Change adapter settings

5.  Right click on the connection you want to share and select properties.

6.  Click sharing tab

7.  Click allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

You should be able to select what network connection to share the original with and should be good from here.  No command line bs or route management.  I personally use this on many machines across many OS and there are no issues etc.

For those who said to create a bridge, that will work but he would need to setup a static IP on the machine being shared too and the gateway should be the windows PC IP.  Should not need to set a route, with proper gateway, it's all automagic since god knows when.  Windows does not send DHCP over the bridge etc.  ICS handles DHCP and etc all by itself.

Edit:  If you want to drop me a PM sometime I can set it up for you over remote.  If you're comfortable.  OR if these steps do not work, let me know what version of windows and I will provide you new instructions.

mojeda

@MannDude

Right click My Computer again, go to manage -> Services and Applications -> Services. Find "Internet Connection Sharing," right click and go to properties.

It should look like:

Internet_Connection_Sharing_(ICS)_Properties_(Loca_2014-03-17_07-35-43.png

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
You don't bridge the connection on your windows if you want the linux to use internet over the Windows machine.

In windows it's called ICS or Internet Connnection Sharing. first of the Micrsoft explanation http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

Here are 4 images how to set it up, http://imgur.com/a/sdsNK the 4tyh image should show a second tab "Sharing" but I only have one NIC in that machine so it is not visible.

You should ofcourse share the wireless connection from your neighbour :) not the wired connection.

Using ICS will create a small DHCP server and give your other machines a dynamic IP with gateway and DNS settings to be used internally.

Umm just use ICS :D

No need to fool with other crap.

All network connections should be plugged in before completing these steps, wifi on and authenticated + cable to other machine, be it linux/windows/mac/etc.

1.  Go to control panel.

2.  Click Network and Internet

3.  Click Network and Sharing Center

4.  Click Change adapter settings

5.  Right click on the connection you want to share and select properties.

6.  Click sharing tab

7.  Click allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

You should be able to select what network connection to share the original with and should be good from here.  No command line bs or route management.  I personally use this on many machines across many OS and there are no issues etc.

For those who said to create a bridge, that will work but he would need to setup a static IP on the machine being shared too and the gateway should be the windows PC IP.  Should not need to set a route, with proper gateway, it's all automagic since god knows when.  Windows does not send DHCP over the bridge etc.  ICS handles DHCP and etc all by itself.

Edit:  If you want to drop me a PM sometime I can set it up for you over remote.  If you're comfortable.  OR if these steps do not work, let me know what version of windows and I will provide you new instructions.
"Sharing" tab doesn't exist, despite the fact but the wireless and wired network adapters appear. I checked both, and the bridged connection, none of which have this option.

@MannDude

Right click My Computer again, go to manage -> Services and Applications -> Services. Find "Internet Connection Sharing," right click and go to properties.

It should look like:

Internet_Connection_Sharing_(ICS)_Properties_(Loca_2014-03-17_07-35-43.png
Thanks, I've located that but it fails to start :(

The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs

Elsewhere I read:

Start Orb > Computer > right-click and choose Manage
Double click "Services and Applications"
Double click "Services"
Scroll down to "Internet Connection Sharing" and double-click on it
On the "General" tab, set the Startup Type to "Automatic"
Click "Apply"
Click the "Recovery" tab
Click the "Subsequent Failures" button and select "Restart the Service"
Ensure that "Restart service after" is set to 0 minutes
OK out and close Computer Management
You should have the sharing tab now on the Properties of your Wireless
Connection

That doesn't work, either. :(

At this point any article I locate on the subject is just re-written or the same information as other articles as well.

tonyg

Instead of sharing the windows connection, why don't you just connect directly to your relative's router with each device.

It will certainly be easier and less cluttered.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Instead of sharing the windows connection, why don't you just connect directly to your relative's router with each device.

It will certainly be easier and less cluttered.
For a number of reasons. I don't have an ethernet cable that long, and the house I live in is ancient, being built in the 1860s~. When electricty was added only 2/4 walls in my living space has outlets. If I were to move everything to the other side of the room to be closer to his house to run a direct wire, that'd mean I'd have extension cords running across the room to the other side.

I've ordered another of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009N544A/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item which is exactly what I had before that worked without issue. It'll be here tomorrow.

I'm at my desk now on my Linux PC... the net works, but it just keeps dropping. I've downloaded/installed the drivers for this TP-Link  tl-wn822n usb wifi adapter, the internet "works" but at 1/10th the speed and 1/10th the reliability. It's extremely frustrating. Mondays are always super busy and I'm not looking forward to having this disconnecting me several times an hour.

I'd work from the Windows machine if I didn't hate Windows so much. I'd have to find some alternative programs to use for it, and anytime I do that I always find my homepage in my browsers have changed and everything wants to install some 3rd party misc. BS that would never come pre-packaged in a Linux version.

Oh, and while my network is in shambles my PC is apparently dying. Listen to the sound it consistently makes as of yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSPnIxT73tg

When it rains, it pours. Either a drive or fan or something is crawling to it's death in there.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I meant connect via wireless directly to the router.
Well, that's what I have been doing. Wireless card on Linux PC died. I've had it for... gosh, probably 8 years now.

And since I have a wireless card for the Windows box, I yanked it and am trying to use it on my Linux desktop. I'm posting form my Linux desktop now, connected directly to the nextdoor router... but I'm not sure why, it's getting 1/10th the download speed (about 1Mb/s) from the net and drops my connecting 2 or 3 times an hour. I've tried reinstalling the drivers for it with no real luck. At one point I ran a speed test and got my normal speeds, but that was once... and perhaps it was only during an alignment of particular planets as it's not happened since and i'm back to the instability and poor speeds.

I've ordered a replacement USB stick wifi device for my Linux workstation, the one I had before worked just fine and without any issue for many years on many different Linux distros. The frustration will hopefully stop tomorrow.

Unsure why I am unable to obtain the 'Sharing' tab in Windows for the network devices. Though hopefully after tomorrow I can just go back to using that PC for Netflix.

Also started to try to ssh tunnel my Linux PC connection via ethernet, connected to my Linux Laptop that connects to the net wirelessly... but no go on that. I know it can be done, because I had a similar setup for my non-wireless Raspberry Pi... but I ran out of time before I had to clock into work. :(

mojeda

Start Orb > Computer > right-click and choose Manage

Double click "Services and Applications"

Double click "Services"

Scroll down to "Internet Connection Sharing" and double-click on it

On the "General" tab, set the Startup Type to "Automatic"

Click "Apply"

Click the "Recovery" tab

Click the "Subsequent Failures" button and select "Restart the Service"

Ensure that "Restart service after" is set to 0 minutes

OK out and close Computer Management

You should have the sharing tab now on the Properties of your Wireless

Connection

or

I solved this problem with these steps:
- create a bridge between your LAN connection and your Wireless connection

- remove the bridge

At this point, the "sharing tab" appears again.
You can create a bridge by going back to network and sharing center, on the left click change adapter settings.

Select both of your adapters (wifi and ethernet), right click one of them and click create bridge. After it makes the bridge select both adapters again, right click and click remove bridge.'

OTHERWISE...

No idea, welcome to Winblows!

mikho

Do you have a static IP on the LAN connection?

Firewall disabled on both NICS?

Is it the built in wifi NIC you are using? whats the brand of the NIC or laptop(?)

You need two enabled AND connected network connections, none of them should be bridged.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
ICS is broke, there is a fixit IIRC out there for ICS issues.  ICS won't work if service can't / won't start.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Just a thought, I'm too lazy to type.  C&P inbound.

Have you checked the dependency services for the ICS service to make sure they are running?

To resolve this issue, make sure that all dependant services have been started. To do this, follow these steps: 

Click Start, Computer, Administrative Tools, Services.

Make sure all the following services are started. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
By the way, I got this fixed.

Had some time today after work to mess with it, and turns out all I had to do (as suggested) was disable the bridge, which that allowed me to select sharing options for the wireless device.

Thanks everyone!

mikho

By the way, I got this fixed.

Had some time today after work to mess with it, and turns out all I had to do (as suggested) was disable the bridge, which that allowed me to select sharing options for the wireless device.

Thanks everyone!
Nice

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
glad that worked out ! now just have backup hardware for the future hehe 
Well, I ordered a replacement Netgear WG111v2 adapter the day I started this thread and had it show up the next day. That's the wireless device I had on my linux box and it served me well for many many years. Though eventually the USB plug got disconnected from the actual device. Sadly the new one either needs to be replaced or I've got other issues, as it doesn't perform as the old one did. Reliability on it is the same using the other wireless device that the Windows PC uses. Unsure what's up with my workstation PC and wireless, it seems that out of nowhere it wants to function very poorly whereas before it worked fine. I've not ran any updates in a long time, so nothing on my end has changed and everything worked without issue up until the old one became physical broke.

<shrugs>

amuck-landowner