amuck-landowner

should i make a freebsd openvz template?

mtwiscool

As I'm seeing demand for it and I know how to get a karnel to run within a openvz vps but it will have between 64mb to 192mb ram overhead and it won't be the most stable thing ever.

So do you guys want me to make this?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
I'd be more interested on knowing how this could be done. I recall seeing something about running a BSD userland on a linux kernel, but I have not seen anything substantial other than MirOS which needed large code reworks.

Edit: nevermind :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Then expect crap performance because it's virtualization under virtualizaiton

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
I guess this is essentially the same thing as "Windows XP OpenVZ Template"   :D

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
As I'm seeing demand for it and I know how to get a karnel to run within a openvz vps but it will have between 64mb to 192mb ram overhead and it won't be the most stable thing ever.
Gee, that DOES sound like a tempting offer. Slow AND unstable. Where do I sign up?

I'd gladly ditch easy to use BSD KVM VPSes for somethign like this.

So do you guys want me to make this?
No.

But I would like to learn more about karnels.

Damian

Verified Provider
But I would like to learn more about karnels.
50376798.jpg

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
No offence, but I don't think OpenVZ is something you should be touching let alone QEMU or *BSD. I've seen some of the questions you've asked behind closed doors in the pies where I lay many a finger. This is not something you should be doing.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
No offence, but I don't think OpenVZ is something you should be touching let alone QEMU or *BSD. I've seen some of the questions you've asked behind closed doors in the pies where I lay many a finger. This is not something you should be doing.
I really don't see the harm in him making a freeBSD template.  It may be a great learning experience.  It's not like he's asking if he should be offering FreeBSD hosting or anything.

amuck-landowner