amuck-landowner

Skype down GLOBALLY!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Seems like Skype is down all over the globe today.

Been one of those Mondays...  Expect more as developers push masses of code, summer is over and fake productivity is back in session.

TheLinuxBug

http://heartbeat.skype.com

Quote said:
Issues with Skype status and calling

By Leonas Sendrauskas on September 21, 2015.

Updated 11:00 UTC

We have detected an issue that is affecting Skype in a number of ways.

• If you’re signed in to Skype, you will not be able to change your status and your contacts will all show as offline even if they are online. As a result, you won’t be able to start Skype calls to them.
  • A small number of messages to group chats are not being delivered, but in most cases you can still instant message your contacts.
  • If you aren’t signed in to Skype, you may be experiencing difficulty when attempting to sign in.
  • Any changes to your Skype account such as your Credit balance or your profile details might take a little while to be displayed.
  • You may also have difficulty loading web pages on the Skype Community. For that reason, please check back here for future updates.
Many users have had success using Skype for Web to send instant messages and make Skype calls. You can access Skype for Web at:

https://web.skype.com

We’re doing everything we can to fix this issue and hope to have another update for you soon. Thank you for your patience as we work to get this incident resolved.
Cheers! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Licensecart

It was a pain, all I got was Skype can't connect and thought it was my mac playing up, to then finally get on via the web version.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So much for Skype and any distributed or P2P design these days.

Long overdue to jump ship, or at least diversify to something.   What are others out there liking?  Long been a fan of Jabber.  ToxIM is a another project that has been interesting (wasn't mature enough last time I tried it out).

Licensecart

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Skype sucks, but unfortunately that seems to be the most common messenger people use. I don't like having to run multiple messengers with just a few people on each one...

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Been having issues all day and I still am..

Sucks because I had some pretty important things to discuss today and I mainly use Skype for everything. 

zafouhar

Been having issues all day and I still am..

Sucks because I had some pretty important things to discuss today and I mainly use Skype for everything. 

Chris you can use the web based Skype version, that version works mostly (if we exclude skype groups)

joepie91

Long overdue to jump ship, or at least diversify to something.   What are others out there liking?  Long been a fan of Jabber.  ToxIM is a another project that has been interesting (wasn't mature enough last time I tried it out).

The issues with Skype availability only really started when they moved away from the P2P model...

Still using XMPP here. For the rare audio/video call, Jitsi Meet.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
What I'm curious about is Jitsi and how they incoprorated the video chat into their client when XMPP is mostly for text (iirc).  

Also, I kinda wish Jitsi operated more like Skype in the UI department but of course beggers can't be choosers.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider

Jabber (XMPP) is a protocol, not a chat service.  We run an internal chat server based on XMPP and it's rock solid (and distributed/HA for that matter in our setup).

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Jabber (XMPP) is a protocol, not a chat service.  We run an internal chat server based on XMPP and it's rock solid (and distributed/HA for that matter in our setup).
Oh I know :) splitting gray hairs :)  That's what is nice about Jabber, not corn holed into some one hallway, no outlet decision.
For both clients and servers :)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Skype has been working fine for the most part today. Seems like a few messages were delayed but not a total outage like yesterday. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's been flaking out here and there today for me.  Nothing like yesterday was.

Their online user headcount seems way way down though.

joepie91

What I'm curious about is Jitsi and how they incoprorated the video chat into their client when XMPP is mostly for text (iirc).  

Also, I kinda wish Jitsi operated more like Skype in the UI department but of course beggers can't be choosers.

Poorly, that's how :p

Seriously, though - yes, XMPP is absolutely a text protocol (which is one of the reasons I don't like it very much, from a developer point of view). There are a lot of extensions, though: https://xmpp.org/xmpp-protocols/xmpp-extensions/

Notably, I believe it uses Jingle and its associated follow-up XEPs.

amuck-landowner