amuck-landowner

SolusVM Exploit - Who got hit?

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Lot of lowend companies don't offer backups, at least not free.
@MannDude no one offers backups for free unless they include it in a package and make you pay for them. Backups cost money, hardware, software, bandwidth, networking equipment, all of that costs money, including employees. So no, it's not just "Low End Companies", it's everyone. Linode for example charges for backups, so does RackSpace and even that near-dead provider out of Colorado who moved in spirit to Cali called Zerigo.

maounique

We offer free ftp space which can be used for backups.

For Biz plans is Offsite and bigger, also raid protected.

Offering space and not the backup option per se is better imo as the customer will only use it if they really need it, so the costs will not be that much.

We also take back-ups for internal disaster recovery but only on a few servers of types on which we had hardware failures in the past.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Not that bad. Pretty much premium price and I "assume" they have decent customer service and support.
@SeriesN No they don't. Their nodes are ancient based on old AMD quad core CPUs from 2009, their I/O is crap and their customer service is non existent. Right before I ventured into the hosting business I got a couple of VPS servers with them for a client's project and the performance was horrid (mid 2011). If the VPS would lock up (hang) or the public networking interface would disconnect and I emailed support (keep in mind that they don't have a customer support / ticketing system), someone would reply within 2 to 3 days and then I that person would spin up an instance of their smallest VPS for me to have something to work on. They wouldn't help via live chat because their excuse was that they are only there for sales, and to add insult to injury, instead of offering me help they were trying to convince me to get a dedicated server from 8x8 (their parent company) for "the same amount of money" that I am paying for VPS servers. If one of us small providers would behave like that and threat our customers with such impunity we would be publicly humiliated and laughed at on forums and IRC for days if not months. So this mini review pretty much sums up Zerigo for me.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Ouch! That sounds painfully painful.
@SeriesN I forgot the most important bit: they never missed an opportunity to let me know every time they replied that my service was unmanaged and therefore I shouldn't expect more support. I was like "wtf., I only expect for my VPS to work and not die on me unexpectedly!". I ended up getting a refund from 8x8 and moved on. A few months later I started DrupalCentric Hosting (which evolved eventually into Phoenix VPS) and my adventure began :lol:

I used another service they offer and support was so bad and days for replies.
@ Lemme guess, DNS or WatchDog? :unsure:

kunnu

Verified Provider
Its also posible to wipe backup server through SolusVM (Solusvm save backup server details in db)

amuck-landowner