amuck-landowner

SolusVM pricing from OnApp Going Forward

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Been a bit since OnApp acquired SolusVM.

Back when that deal happened a lot of folks were rightly concerned with maintaining their pricing and not seeing prices inflate and get out of control.  

People back then asked for price lock guarantees.  

Did anyone get anything to this effect actually on paper from OnApp?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'll be impressed if they ever signed these.

While I know they've made statements that bumping prices isn't on their menu, I just can't see them working to do a complete rewrite, integrate more features, & keep the pricing where it is. Why should they? They're the only option on the market anyone trusts even though there's better people to work with like HostGuard.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll be impressed if they ever signed these.

While I know they've made statements that bumping prices isn't on their menu, I just can't see them working to do a complete rewrite, integrate more features, & keep the pricing where it is. Why should they? 
Yeah I'd be surprised too.  Typical marketing bullshit.  Show up for the promotion and leave for the show.. Herrhmmm...

Someone get it on paper already.

Price as-is is perma paid monthly by large provider subsection.  They are essentially on cash flow autopilot.

That pays for dev and a lot more.  Reason to jack the rates?  Additional human inputs, trimmed profit margins due to such spend.  Cost of acquisition and ROI calendar.   Acquirer could want more performance from the assets.

I agree with Francisco that likelihood of prices remaining seems unlikely.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
I don't think the new product is being released until June/July, honestly I did not believe the price would remain the same and joined the 'yeah right' bandwagon but truthfully I would not mind paying a bit more for additional features as long as it is not a big hike.

After using it for a while I am finding virtualizor still has a few basic should have been considered a long time ago issues, e.g. no serial console, API issues, error messages that say "there was some problem" 

HostGuard on the surface at least don't seem to have really done anything apart from a solusvm clone, no fully rounded import features for switching and development seems to have ground to a halt several times with nothing new for a long time now (to be fair I have not checked recently)

So I don't really see any direct competitors now, certainly not within a 100% +/- price bracket. 

Edit, just checked hostguard, nothing new for a long time and the forum has had nothing but spam posts since late 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
HostGuard on the surface at least don't seem to have really done anything apart from a solusvm clone, no fully rounded import features for switching and development seems to have ground to a halt several times with nothing new for a long time now (to be fair I have not checked recently)

Edit, just checked hostguard, nothing new for a long time and the forum has had nothing but spam posts since late 2014.
I suspect you will hear more from them in the near future.  I know they did change developers, which caused some delays.  That being said I know they have switched to using RPMs, have a bootstrap theme and as of last night are on version 1.5.6.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
I suspect you will hear more from them in the near future.  I know they did change developers, which caused some delays.  That being said I know they have switched to using RPMs, have a bootstrap theme and as of last night are on version 1.5.6.
Oh I see, has Nick gone then, he was one of the reasons I had high hopes for it to begin with?

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
Oh I see, has Nick gone then, he was one of the reasons I had high hopes for it to begin with?
I'm unsure what transpired with that Nick, however I do know the new Nick has a much stronger development background.  I know a decent amount of the codebase has been rewritten to make the system more reliable/maintainable going forward.  It's actually been far less buggy in my testing.

haloelite3

Yeah, I wouldnt mind paying a little more for the features however if it doesn't increase by another £10 is reasonable.

Any higher may make other people to make new control panels and etc or even just leave the vps business. 

Serveo

Verified Provider
Good point folks, sadly their (OnApp's) word regarding this matter can change. While we signed up upon the initial release of OnApp, we had the old billing scheme. Somewhere in 2013 I believe it was they changed their license model to a minimum of 500$ /m. Upon this change they stated (Ditlev himself if I recall correctly) all customers prior would be billed according the "previous scheme". Sadly one year later we had been forced to sign a new contract which had the 500$/m and a change of post billing to pre billing. If we didn't sign it we would fall back out of the total package license model, in order to get the extra features we should have had to sign a new contract.

So my advice is to get everything written on paper and signed...

LeaseVPS

Verified Provider
I don't see how they could ask for any more money considering the lack of storage backends, local LVM :-( and a migration framework that doesn't even use lvm snapshots to keep downtime to a minimum, migrating a 300GB VPS takes hours and needs to be off line the entire time, while I know you can do it yourself to work around these issues most people just don't want to

On our Dedicated part of our business, we get a lot of support tickets around slow vps migration using solusvm, We just show them how to kill the process so they don't have to wait hours and give them some other options... snapshots with lvmsync

Solusvm really has half the features of proxmox, what we really need is a working whmcs/hostbill/blesta module for proxmox4.0 supporting all VM types

amuck-landowner