amuck-landowner

SonicVPS hacked or just fucked up badly?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Somebody hosed something

Index of /
sites/
Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at sonicvps.com Port 80
Same output on www.sonicvps.com and sonicvps.com.

SonicVPS

Verified Provider
Already on to it guys.

Cheers for the heads up.

It's obviously a targeted attack as they only targeted some sites specifically.

SonicVPS

Verified Provider
Okay just an update.

We've determined exactly what has happened. Luckily, it was limited to the websites only because it was an ex-developer who had caused this. Long story short, we sponsored them in return for minimal dev work on some static pages just to show there was a mutual trust. I'm not exactly surprised there are people out there like this, where you extend a hand to help someone in need and they go and do this, but it's still upsetting none the less.

Websites will remain indefinitely down for now as we're obviously not going to fire up the server in its current (cleaned up) state publicly.

As mentioned, sites affected were only static HTML as well. That's not to excuse this as we do take security very seriously.

Any other details will be released to clients only as it's only relevant to them, so if you're a client, check your email.

RiotSecurity

Okay just an update.

We've determined exactly what has happened. Luckily, it was limited to the websites only because it was an ex-developer who had caused this. Long story short, we sponsored them in return for minimal dev work on some static pages just to show there was a mutual trust. I'm not exactly surprised there are people out there like this, where you extend a hand to help someone in need and they go and do this, but it's still upsetting none the less.

Websites will remain indefinitely down for now as we're obviously not going to fire up the server in its current (cleaned up) state publicly.

As mentioned, sites affected were only static HTML as well. That's not to excuse this as we do take security very seriously.

Any other details will be released to clients only as it's only relevant to them, so if you're a client, check your email.
You're looking in the wrong direction.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Riot, do you have some link to SonicVPS?  In re:

"... it was an ex-developer who had caused this. Long story short, we sponsored them in return for minimal dev work on some static pages just to show there was a mutual trust."

RiotSecurity

Yes, I do have a link to SonicVPS. No I didn't do it, and of course this isn't hackforums.

I didn't do any of the attacking / defacing / rm -rfing. It doesn't mean I don't know whom did.

SonicVPS

Verified Provider
Hi guys,

I would prefer if we didn't entertain the idea and speculate who did what etc.

To confirm, we have identified the issue with the developer involved and it was their system that was compromised.

It's not my role to name and shame either, that developer is dealing with it and their clients in their own right.

I'm not going to go on a witch either and will be dealing with this privately. I.E moving on.

amuck-landowner