amuck-landowner

SSD Endurance

mhosts

Verified Provider
Gotta love real world testing. Also makes me feel better with the choice to put 840 Pro's into production over the same model of Intel a year ago! The details on how the drives degrade over time from a technical/science perspective is also quite interesting.

WSWD

Verified Provider
Two petabytes??  Samsung claims one of their test 850 Pros has over 8 petabytes written to it.

dcdan

Verified Provider
We have a lot of Intel s3500/s3700 drives and we have quite a number of M500/M550/840 Evo/840 Pros in the older machines.

I would just say that the failure rate we see is the worst on the 840 Pros.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
There is a finite write span on anything.  Much less on SSDs, but so is proportional space so far on shipped units.

Question though for that test and with others with "failed" SSDs is --- are your SSDs still usable as read-only units?  Or do they entirely fail and are unusable entirely?

I still have that sales fantasy that after useful writes, data there is kind of perma archived in read-only state.  Haven't gotten to test that sales BS to real world and hope not to....

dcdan

Verified Provider
All our failed drives went out suddenly without going through even 10% of the designed TBW. All failures resulted in drives being completely bricked, without any chance to get the data off.

Serveo

Verified Provider
All our failed drives went out suddenly without going through even 10% of the designed TBW. All failures resulted in drives being completely bricked, without any chance to get the data off.
Which drives did you use?

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
We've not had much issues - samsung has been our winner from the get-go.  The drives that fail never give prior warning on our end (smartctl or otherwise), its just gone when they go.

amuck-landowner