amuck-landowner

Starting off with IPv6 - confused already!

fatboy

Evening all. 

I know this is probably something you all deal with on a daily basis but when it comes to IPv6 I know I should be looking into it, but I haven't got a clue on why or where to start.

I have read various posts across a few boards on what I should be doing, I have read about tunnels like HE and I have an ISP that doesn't do IPv6.

My question is, how can someone like me start off using all the IPv6 I am being assigned on VPSes when my ISP doesn't use IPv6.

Perhaps its easier if I give a scenario that I can see for using IPv6 and then any advice around that would be appreciated.

The two obvious ones (well to me anyway!) are:

• Setting up a website to use IPv6 
  • Using the IPv6 as a proxy / VPN

I think the bit that is hard for me to get my head round is how I jump from my IPv4 ISP to a IPv6 website.

Again, apologies if this is second nature to most of you..........I am an old dog trying to teach myself new tricks, its not easy, believe me :D

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
To get IPv6 access on my home PC, I use an OpenVPN tunnel with IPv6. vpsBoard user @Nyr wrote an excellent tutorial on how to set that up. From there, use your IPv6 addresses the same way you use IPv4 - for DNS set up AAAA records alongside A records, and configure your HTTP daemon accordingly. You could try to pass the HE IPv6 certification as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
SSH socks proxy is the easiest way to get IPv6 access to your non-IPv6 home connection.

Another solution would be to use the HE or SixXs tunnels on you local pc / router to get IPv6 access.

amuck-landowner