amuck-landowner

Streaming Software and Such

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Howdy folks,

One of my projects has grown a bit more considerably and we're looking into streaming options.  Anyone know of a self-hosted method of setting up a Stream that is viewable/watchable via either a flash player or a HTML5 player?  An important part is the ability to select the quality (Source, High, Low, Medium).  

The reason why twitch is out is because unless you're a twitch partner, only quality the stream is available in is Source.  This is good if you have a good network, but isn't the best when some people may have limited network availability.  In addition, having full control over the stream would also be fairly awesome. 

I've been messing around with Red5, but I haven't been able to find a proper front-end that actually gets something like this done.

Thanks! 

willie

Yeah the basic idea is ffmpeg can upload to Icecast (icecast.org) which is a streaming server for webM and various audio formats.  I don't know what happens with non-webM video formats.  There's a couple tricks you need to get in-browser viewing to work reliably, mainly to insert way more key frames than usual.  There's an ffmpeg setting for this, I think "-g 5" or so.  And there are a bunch of other ffmpeg parameters but once you get it set up, it works pretty well.  It's late here right now but in the next day or so I can dig up the settings I used to use, if you want them.  The icecast.org and ffmpeg.org wikis and freenode channels are also helpful.  Icecast is pretty easy to configure but ffmpeg takes some getting used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Hi there.

What you are looking is livecoding.tv :)

Have fun

Hey could you clarify?  I don't see how this is a self-hosted method unless I'm reading the site wrong.  Livecoding.tv just seems like twitch/livestream/hitbox.tv except for coding.  

Yeah the basic idea is ffmpeg can upload to Icecast (icecast.org) which is a streaming server for webM and various audio formats.  I don't know what happens with non-webM video formats.  There's a couple tricks you need to get in-browser viewing to work reliably, mainly to insert way more key frames than usual.  There's an ffmpeg setting for this, I think "-g 5" or so.  And there are a bunch of other ffmpeg parameters but once you get it set up, it works pretty well.  It's late here right now but in the next day or so I can dig up the settings I used to use, if you want them.  The icecast.org and ffmpeg.org wikis and freenode channels are also helpful.  Icecast is pretty easy to configure but ffmpeg takes some getting used to.

Huh my thought was Icecast was mostly used for Audio streaming and not video streaming.  I'll start taking a look into this in the next few days.  It's nothing too time sensitive at the moment but if you could that'd be fantastic!  I've been kinda screwing around with Red5 right now but finding a solid solution to this would be totally the bee's knees!

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
There is one I am thinking of that I have seen others use. But for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Time to do some research and report back. 

amuck-landowner