amuck-landowner

Summer 2013 - 4GB No wait... 8GB?

john

Verified Provider
Didn't realize today was April 1st. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylan

unless he has some evil plan
I'm not saying this is what he's doing, but...

nNIN3ASC3R385.jpgAnthonySmith Member

March 31edited March 31 FlagThanks

@jarland said: Push it further. Go into full loss on a whole node and sell 8GB VPS. Put the competition out of business, reap the rewards.

[SIZE=12.800000190734863px]Sure sounds like a plan :)[/SIZE]

Actually you might be on to something, maybe that is the plan, companies that can survive just wreck the market by operating at a loss for a few years while destroying the competition.... hmm, interesting.
http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/242124/#Comment_242124

willie

My question is what are you doing with 8 GB of ram? Giant ramdrive?
I ran a search engine for a while, which ate basically all the ram of the 8gb dedicated server that it ran on at the time. It didn't use a ramdrive per se, but its index set had to be paged in all the time for certain aggregated queries to be reasonably responsive.

Jeffrey

They know that these clients will never use such amount of Ram so they will oversell the hell out of the node.  This is still possible with KVM, but it's not common with KVM.

concerto49

Verified Provider
He plans to double the RAM sold, so he plans to only turn $320 per month per node with that hardware cost? Meh not my cup of tea.

2 IPs per even at $0.50 per IP is $64/m in IP addresses. + the backup space + the 3rd month free. If his goal is to force kiddy hosts into trying to offer this and go out of business then he'll be successful, but profit margins just aren't there for it to be worthwhile.
You're assuming that IPs are $0.50/IP. I'm sure he gets it for a lot less.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
You're assuming that IPs are $0.50/IP. I'm sure he gets it for a lot less.
Yeah it's just an assumption to get a feel for pricing. Not sure that you'd get IPs for anything under $0.15 per IP unless you are direct to ARIN.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Here's how you do it: disallow custom ISOs, and only provide ISOs with a modified version of the stated OS. What modification? The command "free" always returns 8GB total even if it's running 256MB. Serious users who actually bother picking one up won't trust it enough to use it, non-serious users who get it just for the "elbow room" won't need/use anywhere near the 8GB, and legit uses that would use all the 8GB are disallowed, VPS immediately shut down if such usage is detected. Actual node has maybe 64GB of RAM, located in, say... Buffalo!

Seriously, though, since this is AnthonySmith, I imagine that either he's not actually planning to go through with this or he'll pull it off, possibly at a loss until hardware gets cheap enough to pull a meager profit. Maybe cut corners by only providing one IP free until you give a really good justification for the second. Either way, I'm just gonna wait and see.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Here's how you do it: disallow custom ISOs, and only provide ISOs with a modified version of the stated OS. What modification? The command "free" always returns 8GB total even if it's running 256MB. Serious users who actually bother picking one up won't trust it enough to use it, non-serious users who get it just for the "elbow room" won't need/use anywhere near the 8GB, and legit uses that would use all the 8GB are disallowed, VPS immediately shut down if such usage is detected. Actual node has maybe 64GB of RAM, located in, say... Buffalo!

Seriously, though, since this is AnthonySmith, I imagine that either a) he's not actually planning to go through with this or B) he'll pull it off, possibly at a loss until hardware gets cheap enough to pull a meager profit. Maybe cut corners by only providing one IP free until you give a really good justification for the second. Either way, I'm just gonna wait and see.
Problem is the continuous DDoS attacks. Just look @ Waveride.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I dunno what Prometeus might be doing that Edis isn't, but FWIW I haven't seen those sorts of issues at all with OVerZold.
Mao has to integrate a bunch of policies that he put our feet to the coals for once he started working at Prometeus. Notice he doesn't allow TOR and a lot of things will get you thrown out? He chewed at us for that constantly. That's not to say it doesn't protect them. He has said that they've had floods but thankfully they haven't caused any real issues. It could be that Sal has some basic rate limits/ACL's on UDP traffic upstream or it could just be that since they don't keep stock very often that they keep the trouble makers away.

EDIS has those issues because they've allowed....interesting content before.

The idea of an autonull or anything like that is a rare thing in the hosting industry it seems. Ubiquity just recently released "ddos filtering" that's quite literally just an autonull.

Francisco

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Do you trust the provider? Then it's a good deal.

Are you interested in the plan solely for the price point? Scam.
If I trust the provider and the interest is based on the good price.... good VS. bad ... who will win...

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
If you trust the provider to maintain a quality service, then the latter half is irrelevant :p
I would like to add company age into the equation aswell. An provider with many years in the business will probably have more "chance" of success then a newly created company.

amuck-landowner