amuck-landowner

Synchronised Home Directory / Workspace

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I know I'm a terrible person for necro'ing this thread but hopefully the mods don't smite me.

Still on topic, has anyone played with syncthing?

It looks like it addresses the permission syncing as well as other things up for discussion.

Francisco

In my experience trying to work on an active remote disk is painful even over a LAN.  Better to work locally and sync on demand, using rsync or git depending on the data.
That's my experience too, even with <1ms network latency. Local sync is necessary.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Still using btsync currently for package transfer between remote server.

GlusterFS internally and in one case within the same country (Ramnode <-> DO AMS2)

And rsync to keep some supporting utilities in sync (monitor scripts)

I really want to play with s3fs but not prepared to leap into Amazons world yet.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Currently trying a basket of these solutions.

Syncthing is on the list.

Have Seafile up and going and it's rather cool :)  Little different and in place challenging - like good luck as-is mirroring say /home/yourdirectory in whole.  My experience at least... But it works fine mirroring say /home/username/Desktop and related other major spots.

Tested on LAN and no pesky Apache or Nginx or whatever web configuration which I just detest.  It does have a web interface built in and a slew of clients for everything major:

http://seafile.com/en/download/

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Ya, I'm using Syncthing for a few thing and am very satisfied with it. Easy to setup and work with, all very smooth.

I haven't run into any issues yet, either. It just works :)

I know I'm a terrible person for necro'ing this thread but hopefully the mods don't smite me.

It looks like it addresses the permission syncing as well as other things up for discussion.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Ya, I'm using Syncthing for a few thing and am very satisfied with it. Easy to setup and work with, all very smooth.

I haven't run into any issues yet, either. It just works :)
Linux permissions work without issue?

Francisco

k0nsl

Bad Goy
To tell you the truth, I have not ran into any issues with permissions. But my main purpose of use is to shuffle data to some backup server which has Syncthing running and connected to one of the boxes here at home, like this:
k0nsl-syncthing01.png

Makes for easy management. I'm thinking about doing something more useful with it, soon. Just have to evaluate it some more to see if it would be a good idea: for example, let it deal with local cPanel/WHM backups. Not sure yet.

But I like it and it works great so far :D

Linux permissions work without issue?

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
We should get some tutorials constructed - even if short cliff notes versions for the various file replication tools at play here (BTSync, Syncthing, Seafile, etc.).

Anyone have such for BTSync before I waste 2 hours searching and failing?

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
@k0nsl Probably QQ's.

Can the web UI be disabled with syncthing? Are the logs usefull though? CLI interface?

Can the network address & ports be specifically bound?

k0nsl

Bad Goy
As for ports, yes - those can be explicitly set in the configuration file. It's very straightforward.

In the configuration the Web GUI can be disabled:

<gui enabled="true" tls="true">
    <address>0.0.0.0:8080</address>
</gui>

@k0nsl Probably QQ's.

Can the web UI be disabled with syncthing? Are the logs usefull though? CLI interface?

Can the network address & ports be specifically bound?

amuck-landowner