amuck-landowner

Synology LAN speeds?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
You synology folk...what speed for read/write do you see on your Synology?

With the following setup...

• Synology DS215j with 2 x WD 6TB Red drives in RAID-1
  • NetGear DS108 gig-E switch
  • Either an OpenBSD i3 or a Linux i3 connected on same switch

...I see 30 to 35MB/sec write or read.  CPU on the Synology is at 68% or so.  That's just me looking at the Synology's resource monitor.

I guess that's in line with reviews...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/synology-ds215j-photos-5

...and in truth I'm just using it for archive to free space on faster file stores at home.  I realize the DS215J is not their fastest unit.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
That's a dual core 800Mhz model, right?  Not entirely slacky.

Seems like the throughput achieved is less than half of their claimed performance.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I ran CrystalDiskMark on a mapped network drive to my Synology:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 47.354 MB/s
Sequential Write : 47.000 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 27.791 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 51.309 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 1.957 MB/s [ 477.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 6.412 MB/s [ 1565.5 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.915 MB/s [ 467.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 11.114 MB/s [ 2713.3 IOPS]

Test : 50 MB [Z: 54.9% (109.8/200.0 GB)] (x2)
Date : 2015/06/12 8:33:22

My Synology is an old DS110j (single core 800MHz arm) with a single Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive in it. It's connected to a 1Gbps port on my Mikrotik CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN and my laptop has a 1Gbps Realtek NIC on it.

I didn't bother checking the CPU usage on the NAS because it's regularly between 50-100% so without disabling a lot of services I wouldn't be able to get a baseline.

Last edited by a moderator:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Interestingly, it seems to do OK with TWO copies at that speed.  While one copy from Linux was going on, I did a second from Windows and it did a 1GB file in about 30 seconds which is the same 30MB/sec-ish.

On Windows, the box is an i7 while my OpenBSD and Linux boxes are i3, but I don't think that makes a difference.

I haven't turned on nfs4 on the box...or really done much in the way of tuning, though there aren't many dials/knobs in that department.

Well, I bought it for archive to free space elsewhere, so I guess it's doing that role.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Excluding the cost of the actual hard drives, for $200 and 13W of power, this Synology provides a ton of features - I didn't do a line-by-line comparison to FreeNAS.

Crucially, it is just using ext4 under the covers so in theory I could pop these disks out and move them to a non-synology generic x86 box and they'd work.

The thing with building your own FreeNAS is the power cost because a full-sized x86 system will draw a lot more juice.  

KuJoe

Verified Provider
The costs are much cheaper than rolling your own NAS (both from an initial cost and cost of ownership perspective). I personally like a lot of Synology's proprietary software also. The CloudStation is amazing for keeping my data backed up and synced in real time. I looked into other options like BTSync and Syncthing but BTSync didn't offer the security I wanted for my critical data and Syncthing looked like it was going to start charging for the features I plan on using.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
The CloudStation is amazing for keeping my data backed up and synced in real time. I looked into other options like BTSync and Syncthing but BTSync didn't offer the security I wanted for my critical data and Syncthing looked like it was going to start charging for the features I plan on using.
I seem to recall you mentioning you had some sort of setup where you backed up your home systems to the synology, and then from there to crashplan, or...something like that?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@raindog308 yes I have it setup like this:

CloudStation on home PCs and remote VPSs sync up to the NAS so all of the files are synced in real time on all devices, then running CrashPlan on a remote VPS so it's backed up in real time and versioned on CrashPlan so I can restore any version of my files if needed.

I also rsync to other VPSs and external USB drives for additional redundancy.

amuck-landowner