amuck-landowner

tell your SSD failure stories

willie

Anyone had an SSD in a server fail?

What brand and model?  Capacity? 

How long had it been in use?  Any idea how many block writes it had handled?

What was the failure mode--bricked, read-only, data corruption, ... ?

Did you do any periodic SMART checks while the drive was still working?  Did anything change in the SMART data presaging the failure?

Do you use RAID on SSD servers?

Thanks.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Mixed RAID/non-RAID.

Multiple OCZ Custom controller - Died without read only entirely. No SMART warnings. Less than 1y each. Will NEVER buy again.

Multiple Corsair Sandforce - Died with read only.  SMART warnings. Expected after 2-3 years.

Multiple Intel 3G SATA - Died with write errors and corrupt data. No SMART warnings. Unexpected (because Intel) after ~1y, but not entirely unexpected.

Multiple Samsung - Died with read only. No SMART warnings. 1-2 years, unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gang Starr

I once bought a smaller 64 GB Kingston (kill me - don't remember the model :p) consumer grade SSD for a home server. Unexpected but it died after only two months of unsignificant usage. I never bought a Kingston SSD after that. Amazon was nice with me. They returned my money even after two months instead of giving me a new one because I insisted that I won't buy this "crap". 

It died with corrupted data and read/write errors. The OS was corrupted but I could save data. Reinstalled and the reinstall failed due to all the write and reading failures.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Fingers crossed - haven't had a failed SSD yet.

With the fails above I am wondering if failures like such are that common or just bad quality of batches from manufacturing?

Reminds of LED bulbs and their insane claims of lifespan and durability.  Meh, real world with those 1-2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenLionNet

SSDs in theory, are to fail after a number of read/writes however after using them for over 3-4 years, touchwood, there has been only one failure so far that was thankfuly in a RAID so nothing was lost.

I am very impressed with the SSD quality.

amuck-landowner