amuck-landowner

Testing BBS software on my vps

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Due to nostalgia I installed a BBS system on my small 64 MB vps.

Had a talk with some old friends about how all started and we remembered the good old bbs days.

Current main screen is:

▓███▀█▀█ ▓███▀█ ▀▀▀▀ ▓███ █
▒███ █ ▒███▄█ ███▒ ▒███▀▄█ 54 mins
████ █ ████ █ ███▓ ████ █

(A) Account Settings (M) Message Menu (F) File Areas
(D) Door Games (S) System Bulletins (C) Comment to SysOp
(L) Last 10 Callers (O) One Liners (V) Voting Booth
(U) User Listing (B) BBS Listing (P) Page SysOp
(T) Time Bank (G) Goodbye (!) MPL Demonstration
(J) MPL BlackJack (?) Help Demo (@) Usage Graph
(#) File Viewer Demo ($) LBar/Prompt Menu Demo (%) LBar/Timer Menu Demo
(^) Gallery Demo

(/N) Node Chat (/W) Who's Online (/S) Send Node Message
(/P) Page User for Chat (/G) Goodbye FAST (/*) SysOp Menu

Command ->

This is running via DOSEMU and is accessable via SSH.

If anyone wants to join/test this BBS feel free to contact me.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
That's pretty awesome. Unfortunately I do not remember the BBS days, being 25, I think that was a bit before my time. But I'd be down for getting some hands on knowledge about it! Shoot me a PM it'd love to join / play around.

shawn_ky

That's pretty awesome. Unfortunately I do not remember the BBS days, being 25, I think that was a bit before my time. But I'd be down for getting some hands on knowledge about it! Shoot me a PM it'd love to join / play around.
25... smh... lol

While only 37, I was a BBS operator at 12 years old. :)  Had a blast with it!

Damian

Verified Provider
Oh man that's cool! Are there any door games available? From time to time I hanker for some BRE/SRE and LORD.

Looks like you just barely missed it then as I'm 28 and have many fond memories of spending many hours wasting time on BBS The Online Pitstop 402-292-3637 as my dad had a free unlimited account because he was one of the people who helped set it up. 

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Ran a FIDONet hub at 14, Helped run a dialup ISP at 17.

That looks like powerboard or powerbbs,  I used to run it, and Maximus with a Gecho echo mail front end etc.

Stupid cops in town ran a satellite feed for FIDONet for profit, and a friend in the next town over where haliburton was based had a real network connection and a local number I could dial into.  So I became the free hub and those asshole cops actually tried to accuse me of a crime.  The crime being giving away something for free.  LOL city attorney told them to go pound sand for all he cared.

Taronyu

I'm currently 18 so I had no idea what this is before searching how and what. Pretty fun to play with :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ya, looks pretty neato.    Complete project for those interested:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysticbbs/

A DOS BBS :)  I kind of missed those days in my stages of life.  By the time DOS BBS were around I had moved away from such into what we commonly call the internet and other private, but way more networked than a BBS things.

I miss Cnet, and not that silly San Fran consumer tech site, but rather the BBS software.

mark

You should check out Synchronet - www.synchro.net - it has a native Linux port to save using DOSemu - you can run doors in DOSemu as you please.

amuck-landowner