amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
Ordering hosting via proxy is like going to the bank with a mask on your face, try and see how that works out for you.

I get you may want to hide your identity online, but some providers do not wish not knowing who you are since you'll be hosting materials on their network, possible illegal materials, for which they can be held accountable for... so yeah, not allowing signup via proxy makes a lot of sense.

Except I didn't hide or falsify my identity, that's what I found amusing about it. I used my name and connected through one of the business servers I rent with OVH (tied to my business address).

I doubt the support staff cared either, seemed more like mindless acquiescence to misfiring MaxMind algorithms. Bless the infallible fraud checking robot!
Most providers would rather lose some legit orders due to intensive fraud checks than gain a lot of fraud/spam/chargeback orders... the latter will cause a lot of headaches and cleaning up after and will result in you actually losing money as a provider.

Or, I suppose you think providers put these fraud checks in place just to piss off their clients? and there's absolutely no reasoning behind this decision on their end?

Last edited by a moderator:

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
No, I don't think that at all. I have nothing against providers who want to avoid headaches by preemptively blocking fraud orders (which is exactly what mine was not). I simply think there was mindless acquiescence to the pseudo-infallibility of the fraud checking robot, which is more a subject for satire than anything for me to be upset about, really.

'Fighting fraud' is one thing. Bending over backwards to make excuses for blind faith in the structural limitations, false positives and heavy-handedness of failed fraud detection software is another.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Dunno, I just find it amusing when VPS Providers disallow 'proxies/VPNs' during sign-up (as if 'directly' connecting to the internet isn't already a proxy) ...but allow the VPS to be used as one? What is a VPS if not a proxy of sorts regardless of use?

I find it amusing when I read about VPS providers who disallow proxies/VPNs during signup but hide their own identity by using private WHOIS and not including any real contact info on their websites.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Yeah, what a sales pitch.

"Do you like privacy? Then try our new VPN service! Just don't use a VPN to acquire it and make sure to relinquish your identity through insecure channels during the sign-up process. It's a one-way street, though, so don't expect the same of us.

Wait, why are you leaving? We just need your name, address, phone number and non-proxied IP. Don't worry, our premium LAMP configuration is secured with CloudFlare and WHMCS!"

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No, I don't think that at all. I have nothing against providers who want to avoid headaches by preemptively blocking fraud orders (which is exactly what mine was not). I simply think there was mindless acquiescence to the pseudo-infallibility of the fraud checking robot, which is more a subject for satire than anything for me to be upset about, really.

'Fighting fraud' is one thing. Bending over backwards to make excuses for blind faith in the structural limitations, false positives and heavy-handedness of failed fraud detection software is another.

To be fair, I would have required the same thing from you in that situation.  Not because I don't trust you, but to help confirm it's not someone masquerading as you.  I've had a number of cases over the years of folks trying to impersonate others to get us to inadvertantly release client data and other agendas.  That's one of the major reasons we only permit one account per client - not just to try and protect our own asses, but to protect clients as well.  You'd be surprised how many signups I see from people trying to impersonate one of the providers using us for DDoS Mitigation to try and get access to their accounts.

Not that I'm defending.. whoever you were dealing with.  Just giving some insight as to why some of the more legitimate providers will require seemingly silly steps like this.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Yeah, but I could have not used a VPN and still masqueraded as anyone. Could have used any false name and they would have accepted the order... simply because I wasn't connecting through a VPN?

That seems to make less sense than denying someone for using their 'real name' while connecting through their own business servers.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My dogs are'a barkin'. I've walked like 12 miles in the last two days on concrete. -_-

I like it though. Much better than sitting behind a desk.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Not worthy of a new thread, but if anyone is looking for a VPS in Singapore, Leaseweb just launched today.  50% off special (no coupon needed), so S$3.50/US$2.50 for 1GB RAM/4TB BW and S$6.25/US$4.50 for 2GB/6TB...KVM...plus further discounts for longer terms.  Press Release

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My dogs are'a barkin'. I've walked like 12 miles in the last two days on concrete. -_-

I like it though. Much better than sitting behind a desk.

Hows the new job?
I love it. Been on 3rd shift this week though which is boring since everyone is asleep but it still goes by fast enough.

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Found an Angelfire page full of AOL Punters that still exists.  Course all the links are dead, but reading the descriptions, the names of some of these things.  Ahh, I got a little nostalgic.  Progs!  Proggies!  When you could send random people IMs with 12 spaces and the word "bye" and their system would lock up...  *sniff* those were the days...

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/peschel/punters.html

swkDoXk.png

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Made a few site updates... a couple minor things I've noticed (visual) needing fixed. If not fixed tonight, will be completed tomorrow. I gotta wake up in 4 hours from now... -_-

amuck-landowner