amuck-landowner

The Good VPS Provider thread

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Want to create a little area / thread here for VPS providers who recently have stood out to customers.

Is there a VPS company that went above and beyond? Helped you in a pinch? Provided services that work and work?

Tell us about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

GIANT_CRAB

I see Tactical VPS, Terafire, RAMNode, BuyVM and ServerDragon often mentioned.

Czech the reviews, but nothing really very very outstanding(beyond expectations).

darknessends

These I have been using personally ->

CatalystHost ( Expensive, Higher Margins but Very solid, They give a real shit about tickets and servers )

Prometeus / IPERWEB / IWStack / XenPower ( Very dependable )

RamHost.us ( Very professional and good servers )

StyleXNetworks ( Happy with everything  )

Others I have heard good are :-

RamNode

INIZ

DrServer

Hxxx

Just being curious ...

When you say "real shit about tickets and servers", is that in the good sense or in the old sarcastic negative expression?

k0nsl

Bad Goy
The most dependable, helpful and with a really snappy system was:

• RoseHosting

I cancelled it after about 100 days which is also the number of days it had been powered on, without any issues whatever. The reason for cancelling was that I didn't need the VPS, so why hold up resources? And I also merely signed up for the account to test their service, and they passed my tests (unfortunately I didn't document my tests).

tonyg

• RoseHosting

I cancelled it after about 100 days which is also the number of days it had been powered on, without any issues whatever. The reason for cancelling was that I didn't need the VPS, so why hold up resources? And I also merely signed up for the account to test their service, and they passed my tests (unfortunately I didn't document my tests).
Sorry to be an a** but:

The "most dependable" implies there is a comparison somewhere...between which brands?

Which tests did you run? Were they speed benchmarks, compatibility testing?

I am not saying your comments are not legit, just that they sound like a commercial.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

• RoseHosting
The oldest VPS provider on the planet. They were the first provider to offer virtual servers in 2001.  I used them for awhile in 2002.  The "nodes" they were using then were Pentium 111 933 Mhz/1GHz with 1.5GB RAM.   The RAM was shared between all the virtual servers on the node.  Virtualization was Linux vServer(?)

k0nsl

Bad Goy
No, I'm sorry — there's no available comparisons as with regard other brands, none done by me. I know of no other such comparisons either.

I did unfortunately not save my speed benchmarks, nor the performance tests of the VPS. I will always save my results in the future and post them somewhere  :)

And you're probably right, the post might have come across as a little cheesy...I agree. However, I was very happy with that company so maybe I sound like an infatuated little girl sometimes, coupled with somebody trying to sell you something. I apologize for it  :D

Honestly though, a very good company, at least they were to me. That's all.

Sorry to be an a** but:

The "most dependable" implies there is a comparison somewhere...between which brands?

Which tests did you run? Were they speed benchmarks, compatibility testing?

I am not saying your comments are not legit, just that they sound like a commercial.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
In no particular order:

TortoiseLabs, AnyNode, RamNode, NinjaHawk, BuyVM, DigitalOcean, SecureDragon and so far Hostigation has been -great-.

Reactions: scv

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'm also going to add NodeDeploy, MaximumVPS, IPXCore, and OneAsiaHost to this list. Loved NodeDeploy when I had a VM with them (7/month 2GB KVM, was AWESOME). MaximumVPS was perfect for my needs while I had it and Hexxis is an awesome dude. Damian is one awesome fellow and the rest of the team at IPXCore can't be beat! Great uptime, great network (especially for Asia), and mostly it's a no-bullshit ship. Kenshin from OneAsiaHost is a reasonable fantastic guy, and my service with them was great when I had it (I had it to move files from one location to another and to make it easier for me to access it in Asia).

I already have services with most of the providers already mentioned:

- RamNode (Awesome)

- Hostigation (Awesome)

- TortoiseLabs (Awesome)

- Prometeus (Uncle is Awesome)

- SecureDragon (Hosts my main monitoring system and hasn't let me down)

- BuyVM (I bother Aldryic)

- DigitalOcean (Free credits ain't bad)

- CorgiTech (I have a Windows VM with them, runs pretty well for it's purposes)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
So let's start (alphabetical order):

• AnyNode
    Friendly support and good services.
    I honor their guts to move from Chicago to Detroit.
    Service itself is really good.
    The network (123.NET) provides a really good mix and does have good connections to EU too.

• BlueVM
    Support is a mixed bag - depends on who fetched the ticket.
    They might have (today) a bad customer/support stuff ratio.
    Their services are good (for what I am paying) but currently Buffalo and LA might be a little oversold.
    Not talking about the crappy (for EU customers) network in Buffalo.
    But BlueVM does have two big plus points (reasons) why I am still customer:
    a) The Swizz location - really good routing / really good performance
    b) Feathur - rolling out a new control panel and a new location - congrats for these moves.

• BuyVM
    Friendly support - as long as they do have enough liquor.
    Just kidding - but on some days you simply have to be able to deal with Aldryic.
    Service is top notch. I can say this because they moved out of Buffalo.
    Same as with BlueVM. Uptime was perfect in Buffalo but the network...

• CatalystHost
    Very friendly support. Ryan's mixture of kindliness and helpfulness is something I never met before (at this level).
    Service itself is top notch. Incero network is beyond any compare (really good connection to EU).
    Even the OpenVZ nodes feel undersold.
    No drama, no downtime - I tried hard but I cannot say anything bad about them.

• DotVPS
    Friendly support. If he is running a promo you might have to wait some time for a response but on every other day Jack is like Ryan one of the "we don't need sleep" guys.
    Jack knows how to handle the low end market and his location in Maidenhead, UK does have a good network connection around europe (Rapidswitch).
    Best provider in UK so far - and I tried about 5.

• RamNode
    Friendly support. Sometimes I am able to feel the stress level of each support guy. The growth pains are visible but they somehow manage to handle their success.
    Yup they got hacked, they got ddosed and they might have quite a lot of people who go green with envy.
    But there service is top notch.
    Atlanta is still the best US location (network). Seattle did have a lot of network problems but is now (after the last upgrade) good.
    As a EU customer my love goes right to their NL location. I still can't believe that they are able to provide the same service (at the same cost) through out their three locations.
    Best provider in NL so far - and I do not need to try anyone else.

• SecureDragon
    Friendly support. Their response times are fast and the knowledge level is decent.
    They changed some packages (mostly cut the bandwith). Not that kind move but they told me that noone is using the whole bandwith.
    I can only talk about their Tampa location - but there is a reason why their customers do not use "the whole bandwith allocation".
    The service itself is a mixed bag. Uptime is good but the vps feels not that snappy.
    E.g.: 4 seconds for a ssh login until the console appears (tested on two different nodes today).
    That would be ok if their network did not spiral downward too.
    US connections are ok but the throughput to EU is bad.

• TacticalVPS
    Last but not least Tactical VPS.
    Their support is good and they do have a open minded way to handle everything - even problems.
    First provider ever to ask their customers if a location should be upgraded to SSD or not.
    The service is really good.
    Jacksonville with GO RACK will be a reason why I will move out of Tampa. It does have a good connection to the EU.
    Los Angeles with WEB NX does have a decent connection to Asia. There were some network problems in LA (mostly by abusers) but now LA is as solid as Jacksonville.
    Dallas (Cloudshards) uptime is the best of all three locations. The network could be better for EU customers but it is ok for the US. Cloudshards promised some network upgrade - we will see how this will improve the throughput to the EU.
    For me the newcomer of the year.

Ramnode: I'm surprised they haven't barred me for asking so many stupid questions and being incredibly lazy in settling invoices. 

Afterburst/FanaticalVPS: Went above and beyond in being willing to help me fix some of the mistakes I committed when I knew close to nothing in being able to manage my own server.

TheLinuxBug

My Personal Top 13 VPS Providers Based on Reliability and Quality of Service:

1. Evorack (UK) (XEN) (Native IPV6) - 07:53:09 up 564 days, 22:18, 42 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Had a few hick-ups with networking in the past few months, mostly with ipv6, but Jonny has always been quick to resolve any issues and it has by far been one of my best servers I have had for a while now. This server just works and damn well at that.  Evorack is one of my most  highly recommended VPS hosts.

2. Newhost.ro (RO) (openVZ) - 15:55:52 up 116 days, 20:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Uptime is only 116 days but every node reboot has been announced and has not exceeded the down time  provided in the maintenance announcements.  It just works.  I have been with them for almost 4 years now and is easily one of the most reliable OpenVZ provider I have done business with.

3. BHost (UK) (OpenVZ) -  07:56:55 up 58 days, 12:57,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Prior to an announced reboot, the server had over a year of uptime.  I understand that recently support has not been very fast to respond and some people were having issues, however, I have had my server with them now for almost 4 years and it has been one of the most reliable servers I have had to date.  As long as you don't need a lot of hand holding with your product from them (support), the cost, bandwidth allocation and overall quality of the service is excellent. 

4. Torqhost (EE) (OpenVZ) - 16:00:52 up 137 days, 22:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

This server just works. Every once in a while there are some network hiccups, but they are usually mitigated quite quickly.  I have never had to use support since the second day I have had the server. For being in Estonia, this is a great, reliable server.  Would be nice if they had native ipv6 (would be icing on the cake) but other than that the service has been outstanding.

5. Ramnode (US/ATL) (KVM) - 05:57:03 up 269 days,  3:51,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Not sure I even need to say anything about this one.  @Nick_A has always been great to work with, the service is stable, the network is stable.  Has one of the best uptimes that I have for any of my servers. Ramnode is a great host that you can rely on for your production needs, I have never had any issues so far that I have needed support for besides during the initial setup of the service and the support reply was quick.

6. Serverastra (HU) (KVM) (Native IPV6) - 08:10:09 up 60 days, 13:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The service has been pretty stable.  For being a provider in Hungary they have their stuff together.  Native ipv6, fast hardware, decent routes. Prior to the 60 day uptime I had more than 100 days and the reboot was announced. Their support is quick and friendly, any issues I have had have always been addressed within 1-2 hours max, if not more quickly.  

7. SecureDragon (US/FL) (XEN) (KVM) (Native IPV6) - 08:14:29 up 40 days,  7:53,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I started out with a Xen server with Secure Dragon, it was also one of the more stable servers I had used with almost a year of uptime before the decided to discontinue their Xen offerings in favor of KVM.  The KVM which I moved to a few months ago has been quite stable and performs well, and the only reboot I have needed was one for announced maintenance. Ticket replies are always timely and support is friendly.  Kujoe usually goes out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. Have had services with SecureDragon for more than 2 years.

8. OpenITC (US/LA) (XEN) -  13:20:00 up 293 days, 14:49,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

Another host that just works and never says die.  I got service with them 293 days ago and the server has been up since.  I think I needed to put in maybe 2 tickets in my time with them and both times have had replies withing the hour.  These guys care about their customers and have a well organized staff and work ethic when it comes to their services.  The fact I can't think of a single bad thing to say about my services with them should in its self speak volumes for the quality of their services. Also, they are one of the few hosts that provided more than 1 ipv4 with their server at no extra cost.

9. Fliphost (US/NJ) (OpenVZ) (Native IPV6) -  17:22:08 up 328 days, 13:34,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.08

Bought services with them about a year ago and I think there has only been 1 restart (announced).  Uptime has been great on the server and it has been dependable as a back-up server (which is what I purchased the instance for). Every once in a while you may get some lag when others are restoring or backing up to the server (likely getting close to maxing the nodes bandwidth), but I have never found the server unresponsive.  I don't believe I have ever had to put in a ticket, the service has been great since day 1.

10. MiniVPS (UK) (OpenVZ) -  16:30:22 up 22 days,  4:17,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Had a reboot recently for kernel upgrade but before that the servers uptime was almost a year.  I have had this yearly plan with MiniVPS going on 3 years now.  The staff is respectful and quick to respond to any inquiries.  They have also been kind enough to work with me on billing when I needed an extra week.  For being a small yearly instance it has been a reliable server.  On occasion there may be some network issues (DDOS?) but they are usually resolved quickly (with-in a half hour of the issue).  Native IPV6 would be the only improvement I could ask for, besides that, services have been great. 

11. VPS Networks (ZA) (XEN)  - 13:32:42 up 78 days,  6:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The uptime on the services have been great for a small instance in South Africa.  I have had service for about a year and the only reason my uptime isn't better is because I was late on payment one month and they suspended the server (which was in their right) but up until then I had enjoyed really nice uptime (likely more than 120 days). Now, I didn't purchase this instance for anything bandwidth intensive, as its only 10 Mbit and you only get 10 Gb of  transfer a month, but for my uses doing ping tests and running a small irc bouncer, the server has been quite reliable.   I don't think I have ever seen a network outage on the server yet.  I had to mention these guys because for being a small operation in South Africa they put out a quality service.

12. Edis (CH) (SE) (KVM) (Native IPV6) -

Switzerland: 08:03:45 up 7 days, 19:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The Switzerland location had been quite stable until recently.  More recently the node has been rebooted several times without notice and experienced a  few outages from DDOS.  I am going to chock it up to their recent sales and some abusers making their way on.  Hopefully this gets cleaned up.  However, when it is working as it should, the service is great, never have any slow downs on the hardware.

Sweden:  08:04:18 up 142 days, 14:10,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

For those of you already wondering why after stating my issues with Switzerland why they still make my top 12, well, as per their Sweden location, it has been a very reliable server.  I switched from Spain to Sweden 142 days ago and the server has been online since.  This is only one of their smallest instances, so with only 1Gb of hard drive not a lot more that it can be used for besides VPN / Small Static Sites and a few other similar activities, but it has been a great and stable service.

13. BostonVPS (US/MA) (VMware) - 08:30:11 up 593 days, 22:46,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I just had to add this server to my list.  I had almost forgotten about it.  I got this server originally from the parent brand Axcelx which was listed on LET/LEB for a short period.  However, I do not think the offer VPS at the low end price range any longer.  I have had this server for almost 2 years and it has NEVER been restarted.  Ever since I originally setup the server it has been running without issue. I have also never needed support for this server, however, the owner of the company is a great guy and still sends me an e-mail now and again to confirm how services are. As per reliable servers, this one pretty much takes the cake.
Hopefully you guys find this useful and some new users find this as a worthy list of trusted providers.  If you have any specific questions about any of the services that I might know the answer to, let me know and I would be happy to try and answer them.

Cheers!

Damian

Verified Provider
 and mostly it's a no-bullshit ship. 
I'm surprised this doesn't get us more butthurt individuals posting about their butthurt, really. Most people realize that this is a two way street: you can't bullshit us, and in return, we aren't going to bullshit you either. We have nothing to hide, and it's easier to sell cheap and tell the truth than to make up arbitrary shit.

I'm sure we've lost a few customers to our yes-we-have-downtime-we're-not-perfect-but-we're-working-to-prevent-issues-from-happening-again policy, since individuals have the expectation that everything will be perfect. We'll get there someday; we're hell of a lot closer to perfect than when we started this venture.

mtwiscool

vpscheap been with then for a month and zero downtime.

and why can we not have a the good dedicated provider thread as i want to suggest readymakers for setting up my nat.

scott2020

Crissic has been great.  Very fast response to support requests and very reliable VPS.  Shared hosting experienced some growing pains but that has been resolved for over a month and very solid.

Anynode has also been very quick to respond to requests and VPS there has been very solid, fast, and always online.

One I don't see mentioned often here is RAM Host.  I have had a small VPS in Kansas City with them for a few years and it has been very reliable.  Support requests aren't as fast as others, but I haven't had to use them much.

Reactions: scv
amuck-landowner