amuck-landowner

The Good VPS Provider thread

switsys

Crissic has been great.  Very fast response to support requests and very reliable VPS.
+1 for Crissic Solutions.

Support ticket response time is pure Anthony Smith style ;)

My Custom Hosting (MCH) is also recommended.

Similar to the above regarding support tickets.

Both of these are very friendly, and they provide exceptionally stable services.

They've also both got a great sense of humour, as well as integrity.

You are in good hands if you choose any of these.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
RamHost.us - Robert knows his stuff, also one of the first VPS providers who built their own VPS panel.

WiredTree - fantastic support, well worth the premium price.

KnownHost - Again, excellent support, free upgrades were definitely nice.

RamNode - been a fanboy since just before the Solus hack. Simply outrageous performance for the price, and quite outstanding in every way possible. I'd expected my node performance to degrade significantly as the company gained customers, but I was wrong. If they were a public company I would've grabbed a few shares. Ticket replies are quick and effective.

BuyVM - just been a customer for a couple months, but the node seems solid and performance on the great side thanks to the new SSDs. I got a couple canned ticket responses for bugging them when they were really busy (haha), but the fact that they upgraded current customers to SSDs before offering new stock tells you more about the operation than I can scribble on here.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
  •  
  • VPS Networks (ZA) (XEN)  - 13:32:42 up 78 days,  6:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The uptime on the services have been great for a small instance in South Africa.  I have had service for about a year and the only reason my uptime isn't better is because I was late on payment one month and they suspended the server (which was in their right) but up until then I had enjoyed really nice uptime (likely more than 120 days). Now, I didn't purchase this instance for anything bandwidth intensive, as its only 10 Mbit and you only get 10 Gb of  transfer a month, but for my uses doing ping tests and running a small irc bouncer, the server has been quite reliable.   I don't think I have ever seen a network outage on the server yet.  I had to mention these guys because for being a small operation in South Africa they put out a quality service.
I'm another happy VPS.co.za customer (384MB Xen plan).

"I don't think I have ever seen a network outage on the server yet."

There haven't been any total network outages but for about 5 days after Nelson Mandela died the infrastructure in South Africa was completely overloaded with the huge traffic surge and so my monitoring tools were going off almost nonstop during that period.  Otherwise the network has been very reliable. VPS.co.za uses Mweb's network which has good routing to many African countries which significantly reduces latency (example: using MWeb South-Africa to Zimbabwe routes direct, about 50ms.  Many other South African providers would route up through London and back down to Zimbabwe (about 190ms). 

concerto49

Verified Provider
So let's start (alphabetical order):

• AnyNode
    Friendly support and good services.

I honor their guts to move from Chicago to Detroit.

Service itself is really good.

The network (123.NET) provides a really good mix and does have good connections to EU too.
  • BlueVM
    Support is a mixed bag - depends on who fetched the ticket.

They might have (today) a bad customer/support stuff ratio.

Their services are good (for what I am paying) but currently Buffalo and LA might be a little oversold.

Not talking about the crappy (for EU customers) network in Buffalo.

But BlueVM does have two big plus points (reasons) why I am still customer:

a) The Swizz location - really good routing / really good performance

B) Feathur - rolling out a new control panel and a new location - congrats for these moves.
  • BuyVM
    Friendly support - as long as they do have enough liquor.

Just kidding - but on some days you simply have to be able to deal with Aldryic.

Service is top notch. I can say this because they moved out of Buffalo.

Same as with BlueVM. Uptime was perfect in Buffalo but the network...
  • CatalystHost
    Very friendly support. Ryan's mixture of kindliness and helpfulness is something I never met before (at this level).

Service itself is top notch. Incero network is beyond any compare (really good connection to EU).

Even the OpenVZ nodes feel undersold.

No drama, no downtime - I tried hard but I cannot say anything bad about them.
  • DotVPS
    Friendly support. If he is running a promo you might have to wait some time for a response but on every other day Jack is like Ryan one of the "we don't need sleep" guys.

Jack knows how to handle the low end market and his location in Maidenhead, UK does have a good network connection around europe (Rapidswitch).

Best provider in UK so far - and I tried about 5.
  • RamNode
    Friendly support. Sometimes I am able to feel the stress level of each support guy. The growth pains are visible but they somehow manage to handle their success.

Yup they got hacked, they got ddosed and they might have quite a lot of people who go green with envy.

But there service is top notch.

Atlanta is still the best US location (network). Seattle did have a lot of network problems but is now (after the last upgrade) good.

As a EU customer my love goes right to their NL location. I still can't believe that they are able to provide the same service (at the same cost) through out their three locations.

Best provider in NL so far - and I do not need to try anyone else.
  • SecureDragon
    Friendly support. Their response times are fast and the knowledge level is decent.

They changed some packages (mostly cut the bandwith). Not that kind move but they told me that noone is using the whole bandwith.

I can only talk about their Tampa location - but there is a reason why their customers do not use "the whole bandwith allocation".

The service itself is a mixed bag. Uptime is good but the vps feels not that snappy.

E.g.: 4 seconds for a ssh login until the console appears (tested on two different nodes today).

That would be ok if their network did not spiral downward too.

US connections are ok but the throughput to EU is bad.
  • TacticalVPS
    Last but not least Tactical VPS.

Their support is good and they do have a open minded way to handle everything - even problems.

First provider ever to ask their customers if a location should be upgraded to SSD or not.

The service is really good.

Jacksonville with GO RACK will be a reason why I will move out of Tampa. It does have a good connection to the EU.

Los Angeles with WEB NX does have a decent connection to Asia. There were some network problems in LA (mostly by abusers) but now LA is as solid as Jacksonville.

Dallas (Cloudshards) uptime is the best of all three locations. The network could be better for EU customers but it is ok for the US. Cloudshards promised some network upgrade - we will see how this will improve the throughput to the EU.

For me the newcomer of the year.
Thanks for the feedback. Our 10G PCCW circuit is online. Have customers reporting better EU speeds already. Still needs optimizations so look forward to a better 2014.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Nick, you magnificent person! TheHackBox just told me you got HE in Seattle now!

Guess who'll soon be moving back to Seattle?

This guy.

HE gives me 150ms to Seattle now instead of 200ms/250ms previously.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

1. Ramnode - solid speedy vps, fast network, high resource allocation for the price.  My first all-SSD vps and now I don't want anything else except for bulk storage.

2. IPXCore - The tiny 0.50/month 32mb openvz plan is probably my most used vps even now (web proxy).  Dealing with them really makes me feel like there are human beings at the other end of the support tickets.  Too bad about the CC thing but it was understandable under the circumstances.

3. Prometeus (128mb KVM):

23:03:01 up 562 days, 22:06, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Nuff said.

4. Lowendspirit - 3 euros a YEAR, are you kidding me?  And those vps's really work too (5x ipv6 plus 20x ipv4 NAT ports and a shared port 80 reverse proxy).  It must have taken some pretty good technical chops to pull it off.  Also happy with the parent company (Inception Hosting) though my vps with them is mostly idle.

Alto

I've used a LOT of providers for varying periods over the last 3 years, but a few stand out:

Ramnode - everything has just been rock solid. Network downtime is an incredibly rare occurrence, and I think I've only seen one unexplained reboot of a service in about 8 months. Performance is also top-notch. No idea what support is like though, as I've never had to raise a ticket.

BuyVM - not quite as solid as my Ramnode stuff in recent times, but I expect that to be less and less of a problem now that they're out of CC & EGI. Support is far in excess of expectations for the low-end plans I've had with them.

Inception - solid service, and the support from Anthony is probably the best I've had from any provider; it's on par or better than the sort of support I get from the 'premium' providers I deal with at work (and in a couple of notable cases, considerably better), and as others have said, LowEndSpirit is the icing on the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterw

TacticalVPS offers good and personal support and a good network in Los Angeles with WebNX. I love their KVM servers. Use them to host important services. I like Ian and his way.

BlueVM offers really cheap but usable KVM. Use them for testing and vpn. Support should have a better quality and better response times.

amuck-landowner