amuck-landowner

The UPS man saved my day

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I wanted to sing some praise to UPS, who really made my day today.

I got home from work today and when getting out of my car and with my hands full, my keys fell into my seat and my door closed with it locked. Thursday was my Friday meaning Sunday is my Monday so it was the last day of the work week and I started my 'weekend' with being locked out of both my car, and since the keys to my house are on the same keychain: locked out of my house.

To make matters even worse, I don't carry a cellphone anymore since I work in a secured facility and am prohibited from carrying one, my phone is broke anyway, and I even when it did work I didn't like leaving it in my car while I worked so I just leave my phone at home now. Can't call a locksmith. Can't call a friend. Can't call a family member. So I sit outside, and wait. My neighbor is my landlord and I know what time he gets home from work usually, but it'd have had me sitting outside for a few hours.

Luckily for me I was receiving a delivery from UPS today and after about an hour of sitting outside the big brown van pulls up to my street. He hands me my delivery, I ask him the time and tell him I'm locked out. He gave words of sympathy and drove off... but returned about three minutes later and decides to try to help me break into my house...

The good news is you can't break into my house with a credit card and all my windows are locked. The bad news is I was still locked out.

Though luckily for me my trunk on my car doesn't latch properly and you can open it from the outside without a key. The UPS driver was a short skinny guy and he was able to crawl into the trunk of my car, push the rear seat down from the inside, and crawl into my front seat and retrieve my keys and he exited through the back door of my car to hand them to me...

TL;DR: UPS man tries to help me break into my house, fails, but crawls into the trunk of my car to get to my front seat to retrieve my keys and saves me from waiting outside for another couple hours.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Silly Mann...  I'd joke and say there is an app for this, but the phone issue.

Last time I did such a thing I took to just breaking a window.  In the house of course.  Done that with car eons ago somewhat unintentionally when a side old design window reached its max flex and exploded.

So what to improve upon?

1. Never leave keys in ignition or in car.  They go out of ignition and into a secured containment, or on a quick clamp.

2. Lock your door always with the key.  Seems old fashion, but 1 door to lock so the extra 10 seconds isn't much compared to the locksmith bill or other lost time and embarassment.

3. Every home should have an outbuilding(s).  That outbuilding can depending be 'less' secure.  Ideally granting you access perhaps to it via a keypad or other combo lock that isn't a key hassle.  There ideally one has an emergency / backup phone and some tools.

As for UPS, the drivers are good folks.   I have kind words for Fedex and even the mailman too.  

Super nice for the guy to come back and do the extra.   I remember the days when that was how most everyone was.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
So what to improve upon?

1. Never leave keys in ignition or in car.  They go out of ignition and into a secured containment, or on a quick clamp.

2. Lock your door always with the key.  Seems old fashion, but 1 door to lock so the extra 10 seconds isn't much compared to the locksmith bill or other lost time and embarassment.

3. Every home should have an outbuilding(s).  That outbuilding can depending be 'less' secure.  Ideally granting you access perhaps to it via a keypad or other combo lock that isn't a key hassle.  There ideally one has an emergency / backup phone and some tools.

As for UPS, the drivers are good folks.   I have kind words for Fedex and even the mailman too.  

Super nice for the guy to come back and do the extra.   I remember the days when that was how most everyone was

Key wasn't left in the ignition. Usually I clip them on my belt loop but since Thursday is my "Friday" (Meaning I've got Friday and Saturday off, and Sunday is my "Monday") I had them in my hand, had my jacket draped over my arm, had a folder with paperwork and was trying to get my lunchbox out as well. Foot already on the pavement with the car door open, hand still on keys. Stand up, drop them and door closes after I had already pushed the lock. :(

I've never locked my keys in my car before. :(

I don't keep a spare key outside but my neighbor is my landlord and I could have gotten into the house once they arrived home or used his phone to call a locksmith to come bust me into my car.

Anyhow, just happy that I was awaiting a UPS delivery today as otherwise I'd have waited outside for another 1.5 hours or so before the neighbor and landlord got home from work to let me in.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh I know.... it's a process like anything else... Break the habit and BLAMO GOTCHA!

Stuff is oh so easy to drop.  Had pocket slips way too many times in all my years...  Seen others do the same thing you did too :)

I think if you didn't push the lock and used the routine of locking the door with the key this  wouldn't have happened :)  

Same applies with remotes and using key to lock via remote.  Love the unlock remote for this reason.  But someone in my household still insists on locking vehicles the old fashioned way, resulting in the same experience a week or two ago -- with the keys locked in the car.  Luckily I have spares and was nearby, but not pleased like usual.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Now if UPS could only deliver a package in a timely manner :)

I have packages today to arrive.  Their shipping times last several times I've ordered and someone shipped via them have been less than impressive.

amuck-landowner