amuck-landowner

Things to consider when choosing Colocation?

HostingAbove

Verified Provider
I've got a 2U dual L5420 server collecting dust that I need to pack with drives and ship off to get connected. This will be used for a personal and backup server, so nothing "production". I've never shopped around for colo before so am curious if there is anything I should know or could easily overlook as a colo-newb. I'm interested in Colostore in South Bend, Indiana as that's about as local to me as I can get at a reasonable price but am of course open to suggestions as well.

What state does the server need to be in at the OS level before shipping it off? Only function it will serve is a Proxmox server for dev stuff, personal VPN, and the biggest chunk used for additional backups.
Excellent choice. I've used Colostore back in the day and they are a phenomenal group of folks down there. I believe Josh, who was and may still be the team lead for support back in the day was always readily available, carrying their cells answering your calls whatever the time of day/night. All around, good group and pricing wasn't too bad either.

Dacentec is a solid choice is well, recently purchased by Centriologic. Pricing you will probably find to be a bit better. Network upstreams do vary though between Dacentec and Colostore. Colostore I remember them using Level 3 as their primary vs Dacentec, whom normally pushes out Cogent Communications or Hurricane Electric in their shared colo racks.

Hopefully all goes smooth sailing  :D

weloveservers

Verified Provider
I've got a 2U dual L5420 server collecting dust that I need to pack with drives and ship off to get connected. This will be used for a personal and backup server, so nothing "production". I've never shopped around for colo before so am curious if there is anything I should know or could easily overlook as a colo-newb. I'm interested in Colostore in South Bend, Indiana as that's about as local to me as I can get at a reasonable price but am of course open to suggestions as well.

What state does the server need to be in at the OS level before shipping it off? Only function it will serve is a Proxmox server for dev stuff, personal VPN, and the biggest chunk used for additional backups.
Network, price, uptime and power supply. That's what we consider.

The Best Colocation Hosting In India & US- StradSolutions
Colocation is the process of housing your servers and networking equipment in the data center of a web hosting company. Customers co-locate their server machines in the colocation center of a third party. They get rented space in the colocation center. With our colocation hosting services, the customers can benefit from the economies of scale, which is not possible in in-house hosting. With our colocation services, we also offer physical security or your servers and equipment.

amuck-landowner