amuck-landowner

[Topic Split] Budget Services

Kayaba Akihiko

Moderator Message: Hello!  HEP here!  This was split from this topic:  as this segment was diverging away from the original thread!  Let me know if anyone has any questions!

===================

Looks good, thanks for the review!
Was looking for cheap servers to host my email servers on shame the prices is a bit too high for my budget (I'm cheap like that)

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Looks good, thanks for the review!

Was looking for cheap servers to host my email servers on shame the prices is a bit too high for my budget (I'm cheap like that)
$9.99 per year is too high? What kind of budget do you have?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No, his price was 9,99$ per year.  You said this price was too high, which led to people thinking you wanted 1$ per year hosting.  If you're wanting 1$ per month hosting, then that puts your budget at 12$ per year.

Again, 9,99 < (1*12).  Your math needs work if KuJoe's price of 9,99$ is more expensive than your 12$ budget.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why not just get a mail server package then?  Email only.

Secondly, cPanel offers are to be considered.  Plenty of cheap options.. One from here that comes to mind:

OP never said what he uses said mail server for and perhaps English as a second language is creating some of the confusion.  I'll err and not label this one a spammer, just someone in economy where per capita income is much less and every dollar counts.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
 just someone in economy where per capita income is much less and every dollar counts.
actually...

per capita income 2012: Singapore 54,007 / United States 51,755

GDP per capita 2013: Singapore 55,182 /  United States 53,143

average monthly disposable after tax salary 2014: United States 4,100 / Singapore 3,600

edited to add: the cost of living in Singapore is much higher than in the average US city (with the exception of NYC)

AThomasHowe

Secondly, cPanel offers are to be considered.  Plenty of cheap options.. One from here that comes to mind:
This. No reputable company is going to give you a good enough box at less than $10 year (and certainly not $1 month to month) that'll handle a mail server well, at least a fully functioning one. Don't get me wrong I love my SecureDragon 64MB box but that coupled with the disk space isn't really going to cut it for spam filtering and virus scanning on top - probably also with a web server and web UI. It's possible yeah but at 64MB the performance will lack and you will use up more CPU/disk than you would on a higher RAM plan.

I won't do mail on less than 128MB and at least 256MB is ideal IMO. 512MB for iRedMail. That's gonna be tough on $10-$12 a year and impossible with anyone who will still be around in 6 months on $1/month, handling fees will eat up so much of that dollar.

Go shared for mail on your budget, seriously.

Kayaba Akihiko

This. No reputable company is going to give you a good enough box at less than $10 year (and certainly not $1 month to month) that'll handle a mail server well, at least a fully functioning one. Don't get me wrong I love my SecureDragon 64MB box but that coupled with the disk space isn't really going to cut it for spam filtering and virus scanning on top - probably also with a web server and web UI. It's possible yeah but at 64MB the performance will lack and you will use up more CPU/disk than you would on a higher RAM plan.

I won't do mail on less than 128MB and at least 256MB is ideal IMO. 512MB for iRedMail. That's gonna be tough on $10-$12 a year and impossible with anyone who will still be around in 6 months on $1/month, handling fees will eat up so much of that dollar.

Go shared for mail on your budget, seriously.
Okay, I'll take that into account, thanks for the information!

syncrohost

Email Server and cheap just dont go together plust IPv4 arent free......  Hopefully it's not used for spamming.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Email Server and cheap just dont go together plust IPv4 arent free...... Hopefully it's not used for spamming.
I keep reading that IP arent free and then see more and more providers giving them away for almost nothing. I'm confused.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Email Server and cheap just dont go together plust IPv4 arent free......  Hopefully it's not used for spamming.
IPs aren't free, but two pennies a month isn't exactly expensive either.

amuck-landowner