amuck-landowner

TOR config - exit node - help the idiot.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Being a new year I've decided to put some idle server resources on my dedicated servers to some use, benefiting others.

Decided to give TOR a try.   The config is blah.  Haven't had success in getting it up and running as an exit node (i.e not seeing in public database and not seeing any real activity).

Does someone have a TOR config file they use currently and successfully.  Idea here is something that allows checking email, web surfing and a few other common things and nothing else.

That, plus any info cause I am quite unsure what the heck is going on :)

blergh

Verified Provider
By "not seeing it in public database" you mean the atlas? It takes like 2-3 hours for them to show up. Also pastebin your current config.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Does someone have a TOR config file they use currently and successfully.  Idea here is something that allows checking email, web surfing and a few other common things and nothing else.
Well your node needs a level of trust to be listed.

Wait some hours/days and you exit node will be used.

What provider is still allowing exit nodes?

blergh

Verified Provider
Well your node needs a level of trust to be listed.

Wait some hours/days and you exit node will be used.

What provider is still allowing exit nodes?
Ah good point, i completely forgot about the usage-levels. He won't bee seeing anything for like a week, and then 3 weeks and so on.

maounique

Actually, in my experience it takes from half an hour to 3 hours for a well configured node with a lot of bw.

I use to allow ports 80, 995, 110, 465,143 and a lot of streaming and IM ports I dont know by heart. But that only at home, I no longer put exit nodes in my VPSes, I use relay-only where allowed and freenet where Tor is not allowed or even both where the specs are OK and the rulles allow relays too.

I think the network gives priority to exits and those with high real bw are poping up faster.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I forgot all about the massive wait to see traffic delay.  Derp derp.  Seemed longer than I recalled.

I am running a ReducedExitPolicy.

I have colo'd servers out there.  So using such.   I know nothing was mentioned about Tor when I signed up years ago... So I'll deal with any issues like I always have, with SWIP if necessary.

May give Tor a user side test too.  Was pretty lousy in the past. 

Part of this is just to justify some of the idle resources.  People gripe too much about it, I'll just pack up and ship servers home :)

maounique

Exit nodes are dangerous lately. I do not care for myself, I know my rights and romanian police is fairly competent but I dont want to get anyone else in trouble. So relays away, few ports exit at home. I wish to take the time one of these days to experiment with the IPv6 on Tor but never enough time :(

amuck-landowner