amuck-landowner

Transferring email from vestacp to cpanel server?

GaleDribble

I have a server running vestacp that is used for email only for one domain name, but I recently setup up cpanel somewhere else that manages my email for my other domain names. I want to transfer the email from the vestacp server to the cpanel one but am not sure how. Is there anyway I can download the mail to the new server from the old one?

nunim

VPS Junkie
For individual IMAP accounts, you can copy the relevant sent, deleted, cur, etc folders to the mail directory of your cPanel account or you can use ImapSync as @wlanboy suggested.

I've used it many times for email migrations where I did not have access to the source files, it does a good job with the following caveats:

1. You need the passwords for both sides, this isn't an issue in this case.

2. It transfers each mail individually so it can take some time for large mailboxes.  I recommend using --useuid flag.

3. Some flags are not copied, i.e. forwarded

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
You can do a sync to the Imap. That would be the best way to do it. i recommend to contact your host if they dont allow to do that.

raj

Another easy way is to open Thunderbird with both accounts.  Create the same folders in the new account as the old account. Then literally drag and drop all the email from one account into the other.  I've done that with success.

For example, inbox->inbox, then sent->sent, ....

Last edited by a moderator:

bizzard

Another easy way is to open Thunderbird with both accounts.  Create the same folders in the new account as the old account. Then literally drag and drop all the email from one account into the other.  I've done that with success.

For example, inbox->inbox, then sent->sent, ....
It works for smaller accounts. But those with GB's of mails, its a pain and uses your connection's bandwidth.

ImapSync is the best option and you could run it from your VestCP box to sync with the mail account in cPanel. The configuration is pretty simple.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
It works for smaller accounts. But those with GB's of mails, its a pain and uses your connection's bandwidth.

ImapSync is the best option and you could run it from your VestCP box to sync with the mail account in cPanel. The configuration is pretty simple.
Second that.

ImapSync can be called from your new server - so you don't have to use your own internet connection.

George_Fusioned

Verified Provider
Already done this in the past once, and had no problems at all:

- Create the email accounts in cPanel
- scp/rsync everything from VestaCP /home/[username]/mail/[domain]/ to cPanel /home/[username]/mail/[domain]/
- From WHM run "Repair Mailbox permissions"

Done.

amuck-landowner