amuck-landowner

Two-Factor Authentication

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
I know WHMCS has an option for Two-Factor Authentication, like time-based one time passwords.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this is a secure way to add more security to your client's accounts?

zomgmike

Verified Provider
When it comes to security nothing replaces dillegence, but 2 factor authentication is a good place to start.  Hacks happen daily, but two factor authentication is a good way to ensure that even if your password gets out that you're still protected - at least long enough to change your password.

I like any security method that increases the amount of time that a hacker has to spend to get to your data, even after/if something is breached.

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
When it comes to security nothing replaces dillegence, but 2 factor authentication is a good place to start.  Hacks happen daily, but two factor authentication is a good way to ensure that even if your password gets out that you're still protected - at least long enough to change your password.

I like any security method that increases the amount of time that a hacker has to spend to get to your data, even after/if something is breached.
In the Time-Based One Time password that you can activate in WHMCS, if the client gets hacked and their password is breached then their still safe because it's a number password changed every 30 minutes seconds on your smart phone(iPhone, Andriod etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

shawn_ky

Used to use RSA-IDs for two-factor authentication at several large companies. They were great until they were lost. (got expensive!)

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I think the fact that WHMCS charges $1.50/month for a security feature that ultimately took them, at most, 15 minutes to integrate is deplorable.

I can see charging extra for using, for example, Yubikeys.  It makes one question the priorities at WHMCS.

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
I think the fact that WHMCS charges $1.50/month for a security feature that ultimately took them, at most, 15 minutes to integrate is deplorable.

I can see charging extra for using, for example, Yubikeys.  It makes one question the priorities at WHMCS.
GridHostingSolutions was thinking about offering Yubikey's to all dedicated server clients at the cost of the key of course

ComputerTrophy

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner