amuck-landowner

Update to vpsBoard's rules and guidelines.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Nah nah, Manndude doesn't need to show anything - no way are we catering to the Muppets who want to don tinfoil hats and spraff utter shite constantly.

The people that matter know that BuyVM has nothing to do with the forum and that's all that matters. Enough of the conspiracy crap.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
^--- hehe @MartinD.

It's funny I get called a foil hatter.  But geez whiz, when the "opposition" or "competitor" does that --- it's so believable :)  Pot, kettle, rock, glass house.

Muppets :)   We totally need to invest in caricatures of some folks.  More visual laughter.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Oh, that wasn't a dig at you despite your weird, albeit sometimes interesting, tangents. It's a global 'Jesus Christ, get a grip' comment to the observing masses.

vRozenSch00n

@drmike Doc and @MannDude, I think you shouldn't be so hard at @mpkossen. 

AFAIK @MannDude has all the freedom to run this forum as you are the originator while @mpkossen is not the owner and to some extent should follow the predetermined guidelines. 

I hope I can still have retain my dual citizenship   :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I guess they'll think anyone who I host with will be 'involved' somehow. By this logic Nick from RamNode is 'involved' in DailyServerDeals and Tim from Hostigation is involved in items related to advertising because I host the billing server with him. Of course, Tortoise Labs, AnyNode, NinjaHawk (phasing out) and DigitalOcean all host vpsBoard items too... Wow, so many people have their hands in my pockets, jerking me off and telling me what to do!

I pay all of them. Simple as that. I've had people try to throw free servers at me, I've had people offer to host the site for free and I've had people try to give me discounted things. I don't take it. If BuyVM lets me down, I'll dump them, simple as that. There are other options for affordable filtering, or at this point, I could spring for more expensive filtering realistically. I choose them because I trust them to host the main things (WWW server and MySQL server). I spread the vpsBoard load out between several other providers too, because lots of people run solid services with good, talented, and trustworthy folks behind the scenes.

I said elsewhere and I'll repeat myself in here: The only pull BuyVM has over this site is the ability to turn my servers off in the event I stop paying my bill. I've got to host the damn thing somewhere, don't I? Sheesh.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the 4-5 threads you created about 'ColoCrossing Sucks' and 'Join VPSBoard'. I saw the change log (didn't save it though, doubt I can get it back) and those threads were the actual reason for the ban.
I do recall the thread about "Join vpsBoard", but it wasn't Manndude.  It was another individual who posted that thread during the entire ordeal.  That was a period of pretty chaotic times and I understand if you don't believe me/agree with me, but that's my recollection on that event.  

Realize this is the same period where LET had sporadic downtime and the entire "CC" ordeal was just coming to head.  So it's easy to mix up a ton of things.  

Could you clarify the "log" part?  Because it depends on if it's IRC or on the Vanilla forums.  

mpkossen

I do recall the thread about "Join vpsBoard", but it wasn't Manndude.  It was another individual who posted that thread during the entire ordeal.  That was a period of pretty chaotic times and I understand if you don't believe me/agree with me, but that's my recollection on that event.  

Realize this is the same period where LET had sporadic downtime and the entire "CC" ordeal was just coming to head.  So it's easy to mix up a ton of things.  

Could you clarify the "log" part?  Because it depends on if it's IRC or on the Vanilla forums.  
That is correct. Threads came and go around that exact period, which is why 4 to 5 were created, because the other ones didn't show up immediately.

The log file is what I can access in the backend of Vanilla. It lists _some_ changes, but not all of them. Especially around that time, a lot of things never made it. That's why I said I doubt I can get it back. I did see it that morning (because Jon deleted those threads) but never took a screenshot, because, well, I didn't think I ever needed one :)

Anyway, again, I wasn't here to get into a fight. I also didn't mean any harm or try to attack anybody with my previous comment, I was just trying to explain the situation as I remember it. I was made aware of a certain post here, came to see that and just gave my recollection of events.

Mun

Never Forget
Just a little post bubble, the issue with Mao is much like LETs issue with Colocrossing hate posts. Frankly VPSBoard is now the Frantec cheerleading squad and any hate threads are seen differently then others. In many cases as my posts earlier stated, Vpsboard has become LET just with a new lover.

I told you this would happen months ago....

Mun

joepie91

The log file is what I can access in the backend of Vanilla. It lists _some_ changes, but not all of them. 
That's odd, because in my experience, Vanilla is second only to MediaWiki in terms of logging paranoia. It even keeps every single edit revision of a post.

Mun

Never Forget
That's odd, because in my experience, Vanilla is second only to MediaWiki in terms of logging paranoia. It even keeps every single edit revision of a post.

Yes yes it does, very nice actually when tracking down bad admins :)

Mun

Dylan

I said elsewhere and I'll repeat myself in here: The only pull BuyVM has over this site is the ability to turn my servers off in the event I stop paying my bill. I've got to host the damn thing somewhere, don't I? Sheesh.
That's not entirely true: they have the ability to do whatever they want to the server (and therefore the site) for any reason. Would they? Probably not. But they could... and that's enough to always keep people wondering and guessing.

If you want to completely avoid appearances of impropriety -- whether justified or not -- then you should host this site as far from this sector of the market as possible. I'm talking a major player like Linode or MediaTemple, or maybe RocketVPS.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
If you want to completely avoid appearances of impropriety -- whether justified or not -- then you should host this site as far from this sector of the market as possible. I'm talking a major player like Linode or MediaTemple, or maybe RocketVPS.
Funny, it was on a RocketVPS for the first 3 months. When people flooded here, the increased activity plus the nasty traffic forced me to move away from RocketVPS. :(

The main reason I use BuyVM and the other companies I mentioned is because I like supporting those who support the community as well. It's why I like trying services from providers I see post here. But I do understand how that could also be an issue, too, I suppose.

I get what you're saying though, and it's something I'll consider if need be. :)

Mun

Never Forget
Funny, it was on a RocketVPS for the first 3 months. When people flooded here, the increased activity plus the nasty traffic forced me to move away from RocketVPS. :(

The main reason I use BuyVM and the other companies I mentioned is because I like supporting those who support the community as well. It's why I like trying services from providers I see post here. But I do understand how that could also be an issue, too, I suppose.

I get what you're saying though, and it's something I'll consider if need be. :)
Ohh you learned another trait from LET. Yes, they dont have to have a mystical power of tyranny over the servers, but you do "...like suppoting those who support the community..." i.e. you are better friends with Frantec then Mao@ Prom.

Did you ever find proof that good old chief was being blackmailed by CC? No, you didn't and frankly neither is Frantec doing that to you. However as I will now reiterate, ill scratch your back if you scratch mine.

Mun

Dylan

I totally get that, and in an ideal world it makes sense. But I'd say the same thing if you were hosting with someone else who also advertises here. Sure, you're paying for the service, but they're turning around and paying you even more for ads. It just looks bad.

Mun

Never Forget
I totally get that, and in an ideal world it makes sense. But I'd say the same thing if you were hosting with someone else who also advertises here. Sure, you're paying for the service, but they're turning around and paying you even more for ads. It just looks bad.

Then CC looks Really bad XD

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yeah, I get it and can see it from that angle too so I understand that viewpoint.

Well, if I can find an east coast USA provider that is not a member here or LowEndTalk, who is unfamiliar with vpsBoard and whose owner's name I do not know of then I will consider it so long as they also have DDoS filtering that works. A good track record is obviously a plus and a competent staff.

I choose members from here and use their services because I know them, know their history a bit and like the feeling of thinking I'm helping support the VPS community. Same reason you'd shop downtown at your little local mom and pop shops instead of going to Wal-Mart or the chainstore or going to the farmers market like I sometimes do (though not recently, too damn cold on those early Saturday mornings!) to get groceries instead of the big supermarket.

Unlrelated (kind of) I did order a new RocketVPS just a moment ago:

MAMagip2L1xI1FS.png

So if the community demands we migrate elsewhere for transparency sake, fine, I am open to that. But keep in mind that my selection of who I choose do business with up to now has and remains to be with the best intentions.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Frankly VPSBoard is now the Frantec cheerleading squad and any hate threads are seen differently then others. In many cases as my posts earlier stated, Vpsboard has become LET just with a new lover.
How, exactly?  If Curtis and team were in any way showing favouritism to us, would Fran and I have to put up with a 15 page hatesmear thread?  No, that would've been locked/vanished on day one.  Don't be a tool.

That's not entirely true: they have the ability to do whatever they want to the server (and therefore the site) for any reason. Would they? Probably not. But they could... and that's enough to always keep people wondering and guessing.
Any provider could, period.  Unless you live in the cage your gear is hosted in, you will _never_ have a situation where a provider doesn't have some method or opportunity to screw with something they host.

Did you ever find proof that good old chief was being blackmailed by CC? No, you didn't and frankly neither is Frantec doing that to you. However as I will now reiterate, ill scratch your back if you scratch mine.
Again, what exactly is the back scratching going on?  You're doing more than supposition now - you're positing that both the VPSB and BuyVM teams are dirty.  Perhaps you would like to actually provide some proof to your insults?

peterw

Just a little post bubble, the issue with Mao is much like LETs issue with Colocrossing hate posts. Frankly VPSBoard is now the Frantec cheerleading squad and any hate threads are seen differently then others. In many cases as my posts earlier stated, Vpsboard has become LET just with a new lover.

I told you this would happen months ago....

Mun
It is not the owner because you are talking about the majority of the active users. LET and this board have many silent readers so the little group of active posters build the atmosphere here and in LET. The obsessed people are the loudest. They killed LET and will kill this place.

I don't write reviews because I use Bluevm, Ipxcore or Dotvps services and I don't want to get the CC rants.

amuck-landowner