amuck-landowner

[UPDATED] Rules for posting VPS Offers

rm_

Because they have to be approved?
1) by another provider (URPad) affiliated person? Yes sounds like a solid idea right there.

2) Any offers that the WHT admins would disapprove of, swiftly get deleted anyway, so it's not a difference/advantage.

P.S.: Just noticed that the first offer on this board has already been posted, and it's from SHOVEHOST. I think this is just priceless, and even symbolic in its own way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
1) by another provider (URPad) affiliated person? Yes sounds like a solid idea right there.

2) Any offers that the WHT admins would disapprove of, swiftly get deleted anyway, so it's not a difference/advantage.
MannDude is leaving URPad at the end of the month, correct me if I'm wrong

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

P.S.: Just noticed that the first offer on this board has already been posted, and it's from SHOVEHOST. I think this is just priceless, and even symbolic in its own way.

MannDude is leaving URPad at the end of the month, correct me if I'm wrong

The new company that owns it is great, they've made me a great offer to stay but unfortunately for me it requires to relocate to their head office in Houston, TX. I'm quite comfortable where I am, not a fan of cities, and don't really wish to relocate. They needed my answer today and I declined. Essentially, my two week notice has been placed.

Either way, this place would have never been used to promote any brand unfairly, nor to censor negativity related to any brand.

Asama

A request section would be nice for all "Looking for VPS" posts which appear and grow sooner or later.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
It was on IRC that this has been updated, I don't see any differences though, at least nothing major or am I blind?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It was on IRC that this has been updated, I don't see any differences though, at least nothing major or am I blind?
Basically there is now a new post requirement, 25 instead of 10. I made it more clear by using bold words and underlined text what will be enforced now.

Things were lax before, tightening down a bit so we can have more quality offers.

Noteable changes are the requirement to post the DATACENTER your services are offered from as well as the actual location of the datacenter. For example, people say: "Chicago, Denver, Seattle, and New York", but typically their 'New York' is Buffalo, and not NYC. We want providers to be more honest about their actual physical location, so we now require the actual CITY to be used in the description.

All offers will now be enforced and required to have a short write-up about the company. Not just a copy/paste of their WHT offer/links and nothing else. Tell us about your company!

No free VPS offers, that's a new rule. Free VPS betas/trials are okay from Verified Providers.

Must have Public WhoIS information. Was mentioned before but not heavily checked. Will be checked more now.

Providers must be active on the forum. If you just come here once a week and post an offer and leave, your offer won't be approved. You need to be active by having at least 5 non-offer related posts each week.

Hoping this will increase the quality of offers, prevent bad ones from appearing, and encourage providers who benefit from having their services shown here to be active on the forum they use to solicit their business.

kunnu

Verified Provider
bad rules ;(

- why disable whois when you can see company details/address on website?

- Any help regarding whois issue? (You can see my company address/etc in google or on govt. website)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
bad rules ;(

why disable whois when you can see company details/address on website?
Another way of ensuring said details are legitimate.  Also, have you seen most of the summer hosts that pop up?  You're lucky to get a licensed WHMCS install out of them, let alone a website not just blatantly ripped from someone else or a free HTML template with stolen graphics.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No, it means you actually need to partake in the community, and not just make casual/fluff posts (such as your "who needs privacy" post in another thread) in order to boost post count.  If all you want to do it advertise, I'd suggest WHT.

kunnu

Verified Provider
Means I am elegible to post a offer but can't post without disabling whois ;(

Thanks ;)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Hello there!

Basically what Aldryic C'boas said is true!  Our 5 post rule is to encourage providers to participate in the community.  Our main focus is to create a community where people help each other, and to help our providers who participate in our community we provide them an opportunity to advertise their services.  This is why we have our rules in place and has been helpful in decreasing the number of "summerhost" offers (seriously, for a while we had a ton of new offers coming in from 0 post accounts).  

In terms of your whois, we do require public whois as another barrier for summerhosts.  It goes with the philosophy that "Providers should stand by your products" and also helps people know who they're working with.  

Anyways if you have any other questions you're more than welcome to ask us.  

peterw

bad rules ;(

- why disable whois when you can see company details/address on website?

- Any help regarding whois issue? (You can see my company address/etc in google or on govt. website)
  1. If every information is published and the domain is registered under your LCC. Then what benefit do you get from private whois?
  2. You don't want to post anything useful? It is a burden to write something. It's fine, you do not have to. No posts and no offers at all.

amuck-landowner