amuck-landowner

updating VPS host frequency

cnnxcnnx

If you run a VPS hosting service, how often should you update the packages on the server? for example if centos is used, should I run yum update every week?

CenTex Hosting

Verified Provider
Depending on what all software you are running on that server I would say daily. I would pick a time of day based on past server logs when you have the least amount of server activity and have updates done at that time.

YourLastHost

Verified Provider
It depends. In particular, it depends on your customers.

The absolute best thing you can do is to set a company-wide update day, so your customers are not left in the dark in the event that you did a software update.

For us, we update on the 15th of every month (unless something urgent comes out), and we put an announcement up about it. It is a balancing act to keep a regular flow of updates, ensure that you're not breaking clients' stuff, and making sure that you are keeping clients in the loop without bothering them. 

Jive

Used to update our machines Wednesday mornings. Us Australians are future sailors so had to leave it until the day after patch Tuesday to have any real benefit for the few Windows boxes I was looking after at the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerUpHosting-Udit

Verified Provider
It purely comes down to your customers and requirements. But it's recommended to run your patches very often, especially the security updates because if you won't update security patches then you are basically risking every single customer on that node. 

amuck-landowner