amuck-landowner

Uptime Monitor Features?

adly

Hi all,

What are people looking for in an uptime monitor? I've been working on an uptime monitor (among many things) and I'm looking as to what features people are really looking for.

The project had a planned beta launch of later this month and full launch early next year, but let's not BS each other, almost all software projects end up behind.

P.S. This isn't SPAM. I'm a real guy working my ass off this project among many things. I'm genuinely interesting in your ideas to add to this project, and anyone who suggests an idea that is implemented will receive a lifetime account on launch.)

--Adam

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Welcome to vpsBoard @admdly.

I'd start by covering the minimum stuff like existing services do out there.   NodePing is a popular "competitor".

Looking myself for something with frequent checks.  Low time between checks (once a minute or less).

Notifications spit out via API, HTTP, SMS, etc.  Especially on labeled notify failures.

Long term uptime info with custom graphing.   Would like to be able to see entire history backwards.

adly

Welcome to vpsBoard @admdly.

I'd start by covering the minimum stuff like existing services do out there.   NodePing is a popular "competitor".

Looking myself for something with frequent checks.  Low time between checks (once a minute or less).

Notifications spit out via API, HTTP, SMS, etc.  Especially on labeled notify failures.

Long term uptime info with custom graphing.   Would like to be able to see entire history backwards.
Thanks for the response, drmike. Yeah, I looked at NodePing and cloned much (if not all) functionality fairly quickly. The idea of the project I have engineered is absolute trust. It is based around a queuing system that checks from 5 different nodes/locations at a minimum, and will not notify unless it is absolutely certain it is down. Locations/check points are of course selectable.

Notifications, at this time, use Amazon SNS, which supports HTTP(S)/Email/Push. Any additional notification endpoints can be added if needed. 

Graphing and longterm records I fully understand, and this is something I (hopefully) have covered, and you can export data.

I really hope you give it a try once launched (sorry I have nothing to offer right now, I'm a serial perfectionist) and can assure a full lifetime account for your contribution.

--Adam

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am game for trying anything a member of the community creates.

How long before you have an alpha trial ready?

adly

How long before you have an alpha trial ready?
Right now I'm perfecting the backend and setting up pingboxes/nodes around the world. Let's say 1st Dec to be sure. It'll be more of a beta though. Not a fan of releasing alpha stuff, I like my stuff to work.

--Adam

amuck-landowner