amuck-landowner

Using OpenVPN with NAT IPv4

trexos

Hello,

I have a LowEndSpirit VPS and I would like to use it as VPN. I used this script: https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install and it worked on all of my other VPS, but it seems that there is a problem with the NAT IPv4. I would like to use the VPN because in Germany it's not possible to watch all YouTube videos for example Vevochannels. If I check the geolocation it says I'm from Netherlands, but I can't watch YouTube the videos, because it says it's not possible to watch them from Germany. I've already tried different browser and of course I've cleared all cookies and I've deleted the cache too. At the LowEndSpirit forums I created a thread too: http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1022

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

acd

Use an ip check thing like ifconfig.me or ipaddr.re to make sure your IP is being NATted to the IP you expect. Then check your DNS settings are set to those at the VPS endpoint after you connect to openvpn.

trexos

All these sites say that my IP is the NATted IP. I can surf over it, the only problem is YouTube knows somehow that I'm from Germany :(

What do you mean with the DNS settings sentence? I don't know what to do.

acd

From windows, if you type ipconfig /ALL in a cmd prompt. Under your VPN adaptor (mine is TAP-Win32 Adapter V9), it will say DNS Servers. These should either be some anycast DNS like Google DNS, or they should be the DNS servers your VPS provider offers. They should not be the DNS servers used by your ISP and they should not be unset.

trexos

I checked it with the network center in windows and indeed, the DNS was set to "automatical". I've set it now to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, but it whoer.net says DNS:

de.pngGermany

When I use a Geolocation tool it says:

IP-Adresse:

Provider:

Google

Organisation:

Google Translate

Region:

Berlin (DE)

I'm a bit confused, but the problem is I can't watch Vevochannels from Germany :(

btw: Sometimes I have an UK DNS IP adress too, but it doesn't change anything. Here is a screen: http://i.imagebanana.com/img/9igttpk3/20130622_191402.png

acd

Consider getting a VPS inside the US. It doesn't look like it's solvable from your current VPS provider.

johnlth93

Can Netherlands watch these particular videos you mentioned?

-Edit-

read your post on LES forum, seem that you resolve youtube via ipv6

why don't you disable ipv6 of your internet adapter

by that you should be able to resolve youtube via ipv4 (vpn in this case)

happel

Has nothing to do with you being in Germany, I'm in the Netherlands and youtube is in German for me when I'm connected via my lowendspirit vpn. I guess youtube needs to update their geolocation information.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Can Netherlands watch these particular videos you mentioned?

-Edit-

read your post on LES forum, seem that you resolve youtube via ipv6

why don't you disable ipv6 of your internet adapter

by that you should be able to resolve youtube via ipv4 (vpn in this case)
In that thread it was tried to disable ipv6.

I sen him here in hopes that a "master of vpn" should be able to help. But it looks like youtube thinks that the IP is in Germany. Or they they marked it as a proxy ip and uses something to find the real IP of the user.

johnlth93

In that thread it was tried to disable ipv6.

I sen him here in hopes that a "master of vpn" should be able to help. But it looks like youtube thinks that the IP is in Germany. Or they they marked it as a proxy ip and uses something to find the real IP of the user.
I see, i din't really read the whole thread @ LES (just scroll through :) )

I will double check with that LES @ NL and will get back to TS

happel

I don't think you need to use VPN just to watch youtube.. follow this guide and see if it works..

http://blog.ashurex.com/2012/03/15/creating-ssh-proxy-tunnel-putty/

Tunneling with putty would save you a lot of memory since you don't need to install anything on your VPS
meh. Maybe you can save time and disk space, but memory? I wouldn't be so sure. My openvpn server uses only 3M of memory per logged on user, a ssh tunnel on the same server consumes 5.5M. You do the math ;-).

earl

meh. Maybe you can save time and disk space, but memory? I wouldn't be so sure. My openvpn server uses only 3M of memory per logged on user, a ssh tunnel on the same server consumes 5.5M. You do the math ;-).
That's if you use your VPS for just a VPN..but I do a variety of things on my VPS that I normally have a putty session open anyways, so installing openVPN to watch youtube would just be redundant..

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Is it possible the request to YT is going out over IPv6 from the VPS? I know YT supports IPv6, but the geolocation on IPv6 blocks is messed up because it's so new and huge.

happel

That's if you use your VPS for just a VPN..but I do a variety of things on my VPS that I normally have a putty session open anyways, so installing openVPN to watch youtube would just be redundant..
In that case you can indeed save a couple of megabytes of memory by using ssh :).

happel

Is it possible the request to YT is going out over IPv6 from the VPS? I know YT supports IPv6, but the geolocation on IPv6 blocks is messed up because it's so new and huge.
The version of openvpn I'm using doesn't support IPv6.

It's just the geolocation of youtube being wrong.

mikho

Is it possible the request to YT is going out over IPv6 from the VPS? I know YT supports IPv6, but the geolocation on IPv6 blocks is messed up because it's so new and huge.
At first it was ipv6 (tried with wget). Then disabled ipv6 to test. Same result.

Perhaps e should ask the most common question, did you clear the browsers cache and cookie?

happel

It's just youtube's geolocation being silly.

I'm Dutch, but get the german youtube when using my vpn. Everything else on the internet understands that the ip of the vps is in the Netherlands.

acd

iirc, openvpn supports ipv6 on TAP since tap support was added (1.x series), and in TUN since 2.3. Switch adapter types if you need ipv6.

mikho

It's just youtube's geolocation being silly.

I'm Dutch, but get the german youtube when using my vpn. Everything else on the internet understands that the ip of the vps is in the Netherlands.
This is most likely the reason why it won't work. I would ask Anthony for a change to the uk node instead of the NL one. Ask on lowendspirit forum and I'm sure it will be ok if there is room on the UK node.

amuck-landowner