amuck-landowner

Utility bills? Do they still exist?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Won't that be a bad thing when you need a mortgage for a house?
Yeah, probably. Though I'm trying to find land to purchase on contract and I'm not really interested in buying a house in the burbs. Would rather rent cheaply like I do now, purchase land on contract or pay all out in cash, and build something on it over time. That's pretty much all I've wanted to do since a teenager, though I would have thought at 18 I'd have done that by 25. At 26, I still haven't but I've not lost sight of what I want.

Alternatively I could just hit up my credit union that I use for banking. Been a member there for years. Never have had to take a loan out, but I would like to think that if I needed it, that they would be willing to assist and help me.

I just like the idea of being debt free. No student loans, no car payment, no mortgage, etc. I have tried to get a 'starter card' in the past to use for groceries that I could pay off, but even the "anyone can get one of these cards" have declined me, and I assume it's do to lack of credit score. Unsure why it's non-existent as I've had several utilities in my name over the years that have been paid for. Figured if it was bad, it'd show a bad score. But when checking, it's as if I've never had anything in my name. Not really complaining though.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
They asked for one when I ordered one of their cheap .ovh domains and they didnt seem to like that what I gave them was digital, not paper.
OVH wants:

1. Your real ID scanned in.

2. Recent utility bill (i.e. within 3 months).

Worst part is they want you to send that to them out in the open, via email.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I just like the idea of being debt free. No student loans, no car payment, no mortgage, etc. I have tried to get a 'starter card' in the past to use for groceries that I could pay off, but even the "anyone can get one of these cards" have declined me, and I assume it's do to lack of credit score. Unsure why it's non-existent as I've had several utilities in my name over the years that have been paid for. Figured if it was bad, it'd show a bad score. But when checking, it's as if I've never had anything in my name. Not really complaining though.
Your issue is / was simply lack of credit history.

So many folks in their trendy fashion make credit out to be something everyone does.  This is not best indication of the situation and bias, but it's something:

A Gallup survey conducted in April 2014 found that the average number of credit cards Americans say they carry is at an all-time low. According to the Gallup survey, the average number of cards owned by all Americans -- including those with no credit cards -- is 2.6. Among Americans with credit cards, the average number of cards owned is 3.7. The percentage of Americans who have no credit cards rose to 29 percent in 2014, up from 22 percent in 2008.2
They have 29% of US population (assumed to be 29% of the adult population) not using credit cards in 2014.

Latest Census data puts US population at:

Of that population those < 18 years of age and likely not credit worthy or bearing credit total:

19,868,088 (under 5 in age)

20,570,581 (5-9 in age)

20,650,454 (10-14 in age)

========================

61,089,123 people too young to have credit.

This does not include the 15-19 age group which adds:

21,158,964   ...  MORE.. Obviously 18-19 year olds are doing the credit thing.

If we take the minor age population and compare to rest we have:

61,089,123 vs. 316,128,839

= 19.34% of the population not able to have credit and on top of that throw some big chunk of 21.158 million who are age fringe group.  Should push us up percentage wise.  Right there excluding 1 out of 5 people in US population at the door due to age ;)

Now we have the remaining value:

316,128,839 total population - 61,089,123 (underage minors) = 255,039,716 adult population with note about the 15-19 year olds not being factored in :)

255,039,719 people which we'll flat out eliminate 15-19 group from 

-

===========

233,880,755 left as adults

We then want to say 29% of this audience (which is skewed since we just eliminated 18-19 year old, but that age group is laggards and not real friendly and endorsing of credit).

So 29% of 233,880,755 = 67,825,424 more people not in the credit racket.

We add up the folks not in the credit racket:

67,825,424 (29% opting out)

+ 61,089,123 (people too young to have credit)

===============

128,914,547 folks in the United States not dealing with credit.

Total US Population: 316,128,839

Those non credit: 128,914,547

=====

40.81% of the US population or 2+ out of 5 in the population who are not dealing in credit.

If we look at adult estimates:

233,880,755 adults with non credit rate of 29% = 67,825,424 adults in US without such.

Fact is, actual number of folks opting out of credit due to bank bailouts, stagnant wages, lack of fun money, most of a decade of economic hell in the US, etc. is likely higher than 29%.   

I know more and more people who leverage cards these days, that is use card for advantages  and promptly pay full racked up amount in Net 30 tops.  They don't need the cards, just helps with paper tracking and general cash flow/security.  These folks are erroneously counted in the heap of card holders although the industry really has problem making money from them and often shows them the door.

So as you see, the bailouts of credit institutions and fashionable aspect of banking  again is credible chunk of US population but very big, many many 10's of millions of folks who have nothing to do with such, some by choice/strategy, some by poverty, some by common sense, others due to age.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah, probably. Though I'm trying to find land to purchase on contract and I'm not really interested in buying a house in the burbs. Would rather rent cheaply like I do now, purchase land on contract or pay all out in cash, and build something on it over time. That's pretty much all I've wanted to do since a teenager, though I would have thought at 18 I'd have done that by 25. At 26, I still haven't but I've not lost sight of what I want.
Prior to very recent times (i.e. 1970's onwward) people didn't go to banks and lenders to buy homes / real estate ... Unless you were a developer / commercial property owner.

Home transactions were done with simple contracts and monthly payments to prior owner or entrepreneuring real estate folks dealing the property.

I once looked at buying a mansion, legitimate old mansion that was approaching half a million back then market offering where neighboring urban properties were $20-50k.  In talking with the seller, determined his family bought the property from local realtor who listed it 1960-1970's by paying the crazy sum of $50-100 a month.  It fetched per se real money back then.  But nothing like the devalued and inflated dollars of today.

I've bought multiple properties on land contracts, owner finance, related.

The gig, every time I do, these days, is to have a good chunk of the asking price in cash to put down.  Often I go in 20-25% at the door.  I don't touch overpriced ego properties.  Most of the reasons property goes for what it does (i.e. too much) in the US is due to suburban nonsense and "good schools".  High prices often are accompanied by high taxes that only go up.  See the State of New Jersey for example where homeowners long there, cannot afford the property taxes and are losing their homes.

So if you want to buy a rural property @ $80k (reasonable price in my world for a fairly robust and good shape property), looking to bring $16k to plunk down.

USDA does property loans for rural America and they have some low down to no down programs these days.  I've only looked at their paperwork and details in glance.  Why?  Because I have no interest in a 30 or 20 year mortgage.  I have a tolerance more of < 7 years total pay off.  Yes it jacks up monthly mortgage related pay amount quite a bit.  Better to compromise, have beans and rice diet and get through it in 7 years than juggling payment hell for what might be half your life with "traditional" mortgage.

amuck-landowner