amuck-landowner

VBulletin.com got jacked!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Pulled from http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-announcements/vbulletin-announcements_aa/4007195-important-message-regarding-your-account

This is an important message about your account.

We take your security and privacy very seriously. Very recently, our security team discovered sophisticated attacks on our network, involving the illegal access of forum user information, possibly including your password. Our investigation currently indicates that the attackers accessed customer IDs and encrypted passwords on our systems. We have taken the precaution of resetting your account password. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but felt that it was necessary to help protect you and your account.

To regain access to your account:

Visit the vBulletin forums at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/settings/account

Enter in your existing password followed by your new password, twice for confirmation.

Save this page at the bottom.

Please choose a new password and do not use the same password you used with us previously. We also highly recommend that you chose a password that you are not using on any other sites.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our support team at http://www.vbulletin.com/go/techsupport or [email protected]

Sincerely,

Wayne Luke,

vBulletin Lead Technical Support.
I'll be honest, the last version of VBulletin I could stand was 3.8.x. Their 4.x stuff was a mess.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Another nail in the coffin for traditional western forums. I don't want to see things go the "login with Facebook or go away" route, but I've never been a fan of those phpbb/vbulletin monstrosities.
"traditional western forums" - nice :)

In a lot of cases, login wouldn't matter.  I don't follow VB but I ran IPB for a while and there were periodic vulnerabilities, none of which IIRC involved logins.

I do find IPB to have a better system, though their CMS is very complex and a very steep learning curve (though lots of power/flexibility, which I doubt most users need/want) and I didn't care for Nexus.  But the underlying board code was pretty good from a design/admin/user point of view.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
"traditional western forums" - nice :)

In a lot of cases, login wouldn't matter.  I don't follow VB but I ran IPB for a while and there were periodic vulnerabilities, none of which IIRC involved logins.

I do find IPB to have a better system, though their CMS is very complex and a very steep learning curve (though lots of power/flexibility, which I doubt most users need/want) and I didn't care for Nexus.  But the underlying board code was pretty good from a design/admin/user point of view.
I've got a love/hate relationship with IPB. I didn't really shop around, and was offered a license for cheap from a LET member and just sort of went with it. If I was re-starting vpsBoard today and knew it'd take off, I'd have highly considered other options as well.

peterw

Another nail in the coffin for traditional western forums. I don't want to see things go the "login with Facebook or go away" route, but I've never been a fan of those phpbb/vbulletin monstrosities.
They are monstrosities because they stopped keeping it simple. A board is not a cms. You dunno need any fronpages, blogs for users, galleries. Is there any simple board software left?

sv01

Slow but sure
They are monstrosities because they stopped keeping it simple. A board is not a cms. You dunno need any fronpages, blogs for users, galleries. Is there any simple board software left?
jackpot!

just like what WordPress doing now :) all in one

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Is there any simple board software left?
Sure, but not many I'd use.

Look at all the issues Vanilla had. There is that... err, I can't remember. The 'other one' that was being hyped up but it's still too early. It looks like Vanilla, but likely better. Just too early to adopt it.

I like keeping things simple to a degree, but also like having basic and modern features.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Seems like lots and lots of people want portals, CMSes, blogs, galleries, etc.  Just because you don't want a feature doesn't make it tragic bloat.

amuck-landowner