amuck-landowner

Video card suggestion with good Linux support?

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Only had issues with AMD 6XXX (a 6850) and AMD 7XXX (a 7950) with Linux, no matter what drivers (tried a lot of distros as well, from Opensuse over *buntu to Arch) - A GT 730 worked perfectly fine in any. Never had an issue with onboard Intel with Linux either.

In the Mac i use now i didn't get the 6850 to work (which was sort of expected in OS 10.9 as lots of drivers were just 10.8) but the 7950 works flawlessly, same for the GT 730 (using a 5 digital output system, 3+2)

For Mac/Hackintosh/Linux Nvidia in general is much more favourable than AMD. Intel works fine on both as well and is stable but not the fastest (even in new i7s). I'd use AMD exclusively on Win.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
I've never had any trouble with any Nvidia card.  Got one in my laptop with Fedora, work desktop also running Fedora, and one at home.

Noveau and closed-source drivers both work well with the latter giving a bit better performance in my exeperience in 3d applications like games.  For browsing and general work stuff Noveau works fine.

amuck-landowner