amuck-landowner

Virtovo - Closure of Vancouver Services

Virtovo

Verified Provider
"Hi, we're selling your data to someone else - but they don't want us to tell you who it is."

That just feels.... slimy.
No data was sold at all.  There was no interest in selling customers.  I wanted them to find their own way post closure.  

All clients were emailed before closure informing them the domain would likely be sold and given an alternative method of contact. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am very confused, so help me before I go on an all night dig-exploration...

The domain has been sold.  The buyer wishes to remain anonymous it seems.

Was there some misrepresentation on the WHT thread?
The domain.... It was owned by Virtovo, the original company... then transferred to you?  Then you have transferred it to another company/person right?  And that person wants to be anonymous?  Big picture, that's fine if so... Just means a few of us will be flipping over stones finding said person and hoping said person isn't mucked in something silly, banned prior elsehwere, etc.

THe WHT thread I glanced only and hadn't saved a copy of (which is like Commandment #1 in this industry)... 

The problem with that thread - an offer selling CC pass through E3's, and Atoms, was that a "CLOSED" business - recently closed business was making an offer... and that offer was on CC's network... which has a basket of people who sell from, who are and have been banned, some multiple times for actual bad behavior, group collaborating, etc.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I am very confused, so help me before I go on an all night dig-exploration...

The domain.... It was owned by Virtovo, the original company... then transferred to you?  Then you have transferred it to another company/person right?  And that person wants to be anonymous?  Big picture, that's fine if so... Just means a few of us will be flipping over stones finding said person and hoping said person isn't mucked in something silly, banned prior elsehwere, etc.

THe WHT thread I glanced only and hadn't saved a copy of (which is like Commandment #1 in this industry)... 

The problem with that thread - an offer selling CC pass through E3's, and Atoms, was that a "CLOSED" business - recently closed business was making an offer... and that offer was on CC's network... which has a basket of people who sell from, who are and have been banned, some multiple times for actual bad behavior, group collaborating, etc.
Just to add some clarity to the whole thing.  I was unaware of this thread and only made aware quite late by the domain buyer.

After having been approached by a couple of individuals I decided not to sell the business in its entirety for various reasons.  Some were to do with the reputation of the buyer and who clients might end up with as a result and other concerns were to do with personal guarantees with Paypal and bank accounts which I'd still be liable for in a transfer of business.

I was approached by ftpit about selling the brand (domain names, website design, associated social media accounts and forum logins).  The agreement was to transfer these things one by one as part payments were made (this was at the buyers request).  The buyer was to announce a change of ownership of the domain/social media accounts once completed.  I prepared an email to clients as part of a series of closure emails which detailed the brand was likely to be sold after July 1st and they were given the direct IP to access SolusVM and an email of [email protected] to contact (hopefully a client can verify, DomainBop?).  I had even gone as far as contacting a few people (such as Manndude) to tell them about a purchase to ensure no wrongdoing was done regarding 'verified provider' status etc.

After July 1st payment was made for the domain name and it was transferred (along with .net version and a few other unused business related .com/.net addresses).  After transferred I was told that purchase of the social media/forum access would be delayed to the end of the month.  I wasn't sure why this was; however agreed.  This is where things got sloppy on my part as my mind completely went off the announcement of a change of ownership.

It seems the new owner has since posted on WHT etc which has caused this confusion.

Just to clarify:

• virtovo.com/virtovo.net sold to ftpit
  • Customer data was not transferred and the only copy is now a SQL dump stored locally
  • A change of ownership of the domain was to be announced by the buyer
  • Forum + Social media accounts are still under original control
Please accept my apologies as customers and a community if this has caused confusion.

amuck-landowner