amuck-landowner

Virtualized Desktop

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Explain this :)  You mean if I want to use a remote VPS for GUI things I take it?
Nope. Just run VirtualBox locally. No VNC, no RDP. After installing the guest drivers the vms are fast and very responsive.

KVM/OpenVZ is perfect for headless vms, but VirtualBox beats everything if you need a virtual Desktop too.

Last edited by a moderator:

acd

I'm not aware of how to force a VM to use a physical monitor. I've no doubt it can be done, but doesn't sound fun.
I had an interest in making this work before but the rough answer is for xen hvm, kvm and esxi, it's not possible to share a physical display with the host node (or whatever is relevant based on hypervisor). KVM, I think, comes closest with some fbdev patches, but these corrupt the framebuffers of all VTs if you switch away from the VM and it continues to write. All three allow attaching a video device to a guest via pci-passthrough (vt-d) so you can put video through but that doesn't qualify as sharing. I couldn't find a way to re-init the device with the HN after the guest had finished either.

amuck-landowner