amuck-landowner

Virtualizing Home Server

Hsunami

I'm looking to build a home server and virtualize it, mainly to run dev boxes both Linux and Windows as well as a network drive for backups from main workstations. I'm currently considering options on how to easily set up and maintain this, such as Proxmox and XenServer since going open source. Any first-hand experience or suggestions on tools to help accomplish this? Thanks!

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
I have a server at home for dev stuff, use proxmox. I have to NICs on mine, one for internet in and the other for VPN'ed internet out.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I run ovz at home but I don't use any control panels etc - just bare vzctl.

Hsunami

Thanks, guys. If it weren't for the need to run Windows, I'd consider OpenVZ as well as I've used vzctl before and it was very simple.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I use VMware's ESXi for personal usage but the free license has a max of 32GB of RAM so if you go above that go with KVM.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I use VMware's ESXi for personal usage but the free license has a max of 32GB of RAM so if you go above that go with KVM.
Haha I can't think of anything major for home-use that'd need more than 32 GB of RAM. 

Unless you're running like 20 game servers out of your house then maybe...

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Proxmox if you want to run SW RAID, if you have only one HDD or HW RAID and a supported card -> VMWare

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Virtualbox is another free home option, though it's more of a "run a VM on your desktop" than "install on bare metal to virtualize the whole box" thing.

amuck-landowner