amuck-landowner

VPS/Semi-Dedi for video encoding

jarland

The ocean is digital
Ooo online.net has nice offers but I wonder if they can even speak english
I navigated around and signed up from the US without issue. I'm not sure about their support, but the client area is all in English for me and their bandwidth in DC3 has been pretty nice. Here's a quick rundown...

CPU model :  Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz

Number of cores : 4

CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz

Total amount of ram : 7956 MB

Total amount of swap : 975 MB

System uptime :   15 days, 2:15,       

Download speed from CacheFly: 16.1MB/s 

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.71MB/s 

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 14.5MB/s 

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.15MB/s 

Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 38.8MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 62.4MB/s 

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.07MB/s 

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 10.8MB/s 

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.7MB/s 

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 20.4MB/s 

I/O speed :  108 MB/s

libro22

When I was doing my undergrad thesis, I thought of doing this one too. But Java can consume a lot of resources and I don't have much budget that time. Good luck on this one! If you're using Java, BIG RAM can help!

ServerSub

Verified Provider
i am removing my post,it seems that i was posted on wrong topic,excuse me everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruriko

When I was doing my undergrad thesis, I thought of doing this one too. But Java can consume a lot of resources and I don't have much budget that time. Good luck on this one! If you're using Java, BIG RAM can help!
I'm not using JAVA! read the topic I said I'm using it for video encoding. Still looking for offers  :mellow:

Jade

NodeServ
Verified Provider
GridHostingSolutions can offer you OpenVZ Linux VPS servers if you would like

We can offer you the following package.

Hosted in the DimeNOC Facility in Orlando, FL.

100GB Space

3TB Bandwidth

1GB RAM

4 Cores

For $12.00/month please let me know if this would work for you.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Hi I'm looking for a VPS or a Semi-Dedi (most preferred) that will allow video encoding. I will need 

50GB Space

1TB Bandwidth

1GB RAM

4 Cores (more cores would be nice)

Windows (You do not need to provide license)

Any Location

$25/month
I can do:

60Gb space

Unmetered bandwidth (20mbps+ guaranteed)

1GB RAM

8 vCPU's

Modified Xen HVM (like KVM)

Bring your own windows license + ISO

Price: $13.50

Order here

More information on using Windows on TortoiseLabs vServers here.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Is it possible if I can be placed on the newer nodes since it looks like better CPU
The e3-1270v2 is actually equivalent for transcoding.  The main advantage for the Haswell CPUs is a new memory controller and onboard VRM.  Performance for compute is the same or slightly better on the v2's actually.  I suspect the generation after Haswell will bring some more tangible improvements.

Beyond that, we don't have that level of control as to what node a specific VPS would be assigned to.  If the performance isn't adequate, we can always of course, move you to a different node, and at that time, intentionally place you on a Haswell-based node if you really want it.

concerto49

Verified Provider
The e3-1270v2 is actually equivalent for transcoding. The main advantage for the Haswell CPUs is a new memory controller and onboard VRM. Performance for compute is the same or slightly better on the v2's actually. I suspect the generation after Haswell will bring some more tangible improvements.

Beyond that, we don't have that level of control as to what node a specific VPS would be assigned to. If the performance isn't adequate, we can always of course, move you to a different node, and at that time, intentionally place you on a Haswell-based node if you really want it.
There are new AVX instructions in Haswell. Early benchmarks wouldn't have done this justice. Likely to be a bit faster.

acd

Granted I'm new at this game but I priced out this request for fun and just the dedicated cpu requirement comes in around 17 USD/mo (priced in a L5639 group at 8 dedicated threads, w/ 2A @ 100 USD/mo, 60W tdp, 2/3rds dedicated usage). Not including equipment amortization, depreciation, and failure, bandwidth, and admin/other overhead (which I estimated was ~14-15 USD/mo at cost, 1gbps shared). I guess if it could be oversold and wasn't dedicated like you requested, it could be made to work but that 25 USD/mo figure seems like a really aggressive p.p. Kaniini must be some kind of boss to make that fly at 13.50 USD/mo.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
TortoiseLabs has an interesting network in Chicago.  Route I haven't seen before.  It seriously pushes some bandwidth with my crappy upstream (which is rare).  Now I am curious as to who the upstream and the bandwidth mix is :)

Ruriko

I have tried out TortoiseLabs and the vps is encoding quite fast especially when it's a VPS. It encodes at 50FPS using the slower profile in x264. 50FPS is quite fast on a vps since most other vps providers give me 20FPS

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Pretty good :) Which location did you opt for and how is the network, throughput, etc.  Interesting company.

Ruriko

Pretty good :) Which location did you opt for and how is the network, throughput, etc.  Interesting company.
I chose California. I haven't tested the network since I'm only using the vps for video encoding but I can tell you that it can download at 50mb/sec

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So much for the bandwidth caps... Just a guarantee minimum of bandwidth.  That's a nice model to share the bandwidth love.

Consider writing up a review, please :)  Few us are interested in their services and lacking a review for them on here.

amuck-landowner