vpsBoard downtime announcement

Discussion in 'Announcements & Contests' started by MannDude, Nov 9, 2014.

1. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    There was a nasty IPB 0-day released to the wild, as such vpsBoard was taken offline as a precautionary measure. While there is no patch available yet deleting ipsconnect.php should have fixed the issue.

I want to thank @Francisco for alerting me of this as it came to his attention very shortly after it was released. IPBoard wasn't even aware the exploit was out there until I had ticketed them to request why they haven't warned their members on their community forums yet.

Anyhow, we're back. :)

2. D. Strout

D. Strout Resident IPv6 Proponent

Apr 17, 2013
    What does (did) ipsconnect.php do?

3. raindog308

raindog308 vpsBoard Premium Member Moderator

May 16, 2013
    ipsconnect allows multiple sites to share one login.  I think you can even federate to other boards.

Invision kind of fumbled this response though.  They say:

"It has been brought to our attention that certain PHP configurations allow for a potential SQL injection vulnerability. Although this exploit requires some knowledge of your configuration and for certain files to be web-readable, we felt it important to release an update."

However, I ran the exploit against my IPB and it injected SQL just fine - no "knowledge" was needed other than the URL.

HalfEatenPie and vRozenSch00n like this.
  4. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    Didn't IP.Board also delete your topic? Perhaps out of concern for hatching an idea as to what/how to fix the issue, though..so in that respect I could understand them. A little.

Geek and drmike like this.
  5. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    Yeah they did that.

Boo MFers.  Waaa don't show the masses our exploited asses.

6. MartinD

MartinD Retired Staff Retired Staff Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    That's a good thing - at least until they work out what's wrong and an appropriate, official fix.

Francisco likes this.