amuck-landowner

vpsBoard fitness club!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
It's fun. It tracks quite a few things and gamifies what you're doing.

Both my girlfriend and I have jobs where we should be on our feet moving around for at least most of the day. On a normal working day we setup a challenge in the app and we can view each others progress. It's fun, keeps me moving and more productive.

If you don't have a job like that it would still be good to get you moving. My goal is 10,000 steps per day, I make that when I'm working but I'm currently on holidays and I'm lucky to reach 1000 by lunch time so I have to go for a walk each day.

Really it just makes me aware of how little I do.

Let me know if you get one, it would be fun having a challenge with someone halfway around the world :)
Haha would be great!  I'd just have to check to see if they ship halfway across the world.  

I'll hit you up if I do! :) Thanks!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Fitbit I do believe is just an overpriced web-ified pedometer.   You can pickup a modest and functional pedometer for $10.  Accomplishes the same thing all said on step counting.

10k steps is quite a bit, take it from me.  I use to routinely walk a mile plus each way to office - in the morning and after work.  Been a long time, but getting then to 10k steps, it was most of that.   

And I'll note, pedometers and derivative tech versions aren't so great about accurately counting.  Varies from person to person and their whole walking pattern.

What matters with walking is pace.   If you are leisurely strolling, it's better than sitting idle.  But really, if you are not going at a good pace and getting heart and internal systems up and moving it's not entirely beneficial and won't see great results for a LONG time (especially on weight loss and toning).

trewq

Verified Provider
Fitbit I do believe is just an overpriced web-ified pedometer. You can pickup a modest and functional pedometer for $10. Accomplishes the same thing all said on step counting.

10k steps is quite a bit, take it from me. I use to routinely walk a mile plus each way to office - in the morning and after work. Been a long time, but getting then to 10k steps, it was most of that.

And I'll note, pedometers and derivative tech versions aren't so great about accurately counting. Varies from person to person and their whole walking pattern.

What matters with walking is pace. If you are leisurely strolling, it's better than sitting idle. But really, if you are not going at a good pace and getting heart and internal systems up and moving it's not entirely beneficial and won't see great results for a LONG time (especially on weight loss and toning).
It also keeps track of your very active minutes, your sleeping patterns and the app allows you to monitor everything easily. It works for me.

I did 13k steps yesterday and I'm not at work.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yesterday: Salad for breakfast, home cooked angus steak burger for lunch (no bun), salad for dinner.

Salad = salad with turkey and light ranch.

Honestly, this dieting stuff isn't bad. Couple weeks into it, adjustment was minimal and I'm actually much much less hungry now that I've practically cut out all sugars and carbs. No decrease in focus or energy levels, I'm not feeling hungry really ever, which reduces irritability from being hungry but being too busy or unable to make a meal at that time (aka, work).

I'll step on the scale on Sunday and see the two week progress. I'm feeling great though, just had a good ol' salad for breakfast and a bottle of water. Will probably bake chicken later or porkchops for dinner and might eat a cheese stick or something later if I want a snack.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
In the last 3-4 years I have went from 260+lbs down to just under 210 lbs.

I've stopped eating as much junk food as I used to and go out on occasional jogs (which really isn't as possible at the moment due to weather). Nothing really too intense and its worked. 

By the end of this year I am aiming for 175lbs. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
How is everyone holding up? Good, I hope!

Went and got some groceries today so I can have another week of taking care of myself, ha. Got a lot more veggies this time, salads are great. Down 10lbs so far this year. Need to incorporate more exercise because it's hard to burn many calories when you're a desk-drone but my meals have also been pretty low in calories to begin with.

Look what I just had for dinner, it was really good:

Mmm.

So, going on 17 days now with no soda, no fast food and eating only food I have prepared at home.

It wasn't uncommon for me before to eat a few Subway foot longs a week (steak and bacon or chicken and bacon) or McDonalds several times (Sweet Chili Chicken McWraps and snack wraps are awesome...). At home, before, I'd make sandwiches often and breakfast burritos. Lots of carbs. Didn't drink soda a lot to begin with but I might have one every other day or so, or part of one. Anyhow, all that's gone now. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Mann has taken to wrapping food in lettuce :) Hehehe :)  That's a win!

Subway = those folks were popped for a plasticizer in their bread last year.  Need I say more.

McDonalds = worst company to choose from for "food".  Long ago they lost their way, went cheap, went into horrible fillers, etc.  Time to watch SuperSize Me and see how a month of living of McD's "food" does the body or the documentary on their lawsuit in the UK that went on for many years - McLibel.

Here's the deal:

sandwiches = bread

burritos (properly) = corn flour or cheaply wheat stripped of all nutrients

Both, major component of meal is bread / flour part.  Flour / bread is a food preservation and storage method for winter.  It exists so people didn't starve to death otherwise.  Same can be said of alcohol (a way to also wealth preserve by converting grains to alcohol which has a much longer shelf life).

In traditional breads / flour you are dealing with WHOLE GRAINS milled properly.   They contain all the complimentary nutrients.  They are not white style stripped and devoid, nor are they fortified with some industrial accident chemicals posing as Vitamins and Nutrients.

If you want to eat bread and can't shake it, then buy a grain mill and mill your own (ideally) or buy much better bread like Ezekiel (plenty of other brands out there, but prepared to pay for them).  

Reason why Americans are so damn fat is because they are so damn cheap and accept anything on a plate as food.  Meaning they are eating in every meal - fillers - we commonly use to fatten up pigs and cows pre slaughter (corn, wheat, soy).  Look at your pocketbook and see what you are spending monthly as a percentage of your income.  Is it 40% or above spending on food and nutrition?   Then you are either 1. Eating filler BS devoid of nutrition, enzymes, etc.   or 2.  Are growing your own food.  Cause in the rest of the world, what people spend on food and nutrition is a major chunk of their monthly income.

•  
  •  

•  
  •  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'm actually disgusted by how much energy I've been wasting to get up and grab beers. The fridge is moving to the living room tomorrow...or maybe my living room can move to the kitchen. Whichever is easiest.
Sounds like you need a beer wench.  All that exercise keeps them trim and fit.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
C'mon guys! Get to it. :)

I'm down a beltloop and about 13 pounds. I've made every single meal at home this year. I've had zero soda. I've only drank water and coffee. I'm feeling generally better than usual and have much less hunger than before.

Salads are good. Who knew? My first meal of the day is usually a salad now, which I eat about 3 or 4 hours after waking up. (Used to wake up, eat, then do stuff. Now I get up, do stuff, then eat). Mmm, salad. Just finished a big salad actually. :)

I bought almond flour today since I do miss some breaded items, holy hell that stuff is expensive. I may try to make some keto-friendly pizza this weekend in the cast iron and try it out. We'll see. :)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I'd likely do more salads/etc if there was a decent grocer nearby (there's plenty of stores, just I find the quality sorely lacking).  It's pretty rare to find a decent head of lettuce that's not half-rotted.

I am still limiting my intake and keeping up with my nightly walks, though.  Averaging 2,5-5 miles a night unless the weather is poor.  Ultimate goal there is to shed enough pounds that I can actually start jogging and eventually full-blown running again without destroying my knee.  Should probably actually get a scale so I could track if/how much I'm losing >_>

yomero

I tried doing P90X...  Damn that's some stuff that kicks my butt when you're first starting out.  
Probably P90X is harder than their last iteration P90X3, mainly because it needs more time. I didn't read "how much" time, but wikipedia has a table with all the workouts, and seriously, one of these lasts 90 minutes? WTF.

Also, for a less demanding program, maybe you can try P90 (just as is). Is the last program of Tony Horton, and is intended for a larger audiency who wants to start moving for their first time.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Exercise bike came in today. Looking forward to more favourable weather so I can ride a real bike around town like I used to do often. Now I need to build a laptop stand so I can pedal my ass off while doing my normal morning routine of checking emails / catching up on some random tasks before having to work.

amuck-landowner