amuck-landowner

vpsBoard - Future Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
ARM is a nice topic. If you look why Linux is quite well supported: It is all about Intel and AMD. x86, Bios, EFI, and all that North/South-Chipsets, PCI, all that stuff that makes the PC running and booting the OS. Even things like VTx and SEE extensions were made common. Single point of command set.

If you look at the ARM SoCs this is quite ok, but all the other stuff is package by randomness. Not a single group of two boards that are using the same ethernet- or graphic chips. Broadcom, Amlogic, Samsung, Mali, in the mix. And different SoC builders with different branches or mainline support.

So basically you are searching drivers for every single chip on a board and if you really found working versions - then you have to search for the uboot and lowest common multiple Kernel version that is supported by that driver mix.

What makes the Raspberry Pi so successfull? Mainline Kernel support. They commit every single bit to the main Linux Kernel. No branches no "our special version of Kernel 3.14 LT". But companies like Hardkernel and others did their own branch - disconneted from the rest of the world - to quit-fix their driver mix and disabling every single usefull module. 

Worst case scenario. Stuck by an old kernel, pissed kernel devs not willing to help afterwards and disables modules - so no tun, no *groups, no xyz. Everything from OpenVPN, LXC, Docker, OpenGL (emulators!), not working at all.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Diminishing interest on my part since OVH sent the nameless/faceless identibots.

I don't mind if the satirical/joke hosts are hardly breaking even since they weren't about making money anyway, but getting needlessly policed on top of that completely kills the fun and isn't worth it. Why bother? Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Learned That I Would Hope To At Least Be Turning A Profit If I Have To Put Up With Weird Harassment From The Daleks.

AndriusP

There are very less people and not much new topic where people can discuss about everything. I very like to join this forum, but it is too  quie.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
This thread has been over for a while.  No new detail has been brought up and it seems it's constantly being brought back to life by people who only read the title and not the actual posts in the thread.

I'm going to lock this.  If anyone else wants to add on or unlock it then let me know! 

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner