amuck-landowner

vpsboard software getting even more annoying

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
So IPB and SolusVM have merged into some sort of unholy IP allocation alliance?

3e94ddcf8d39473c027ce35c84696227.png

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

I didn't understand what

3e94ddcf8d39473c027ce35c84696227.png

was supposed to mean, and I see something even weirder now, it's apparently some kind of image of hex numbers, rather than a text string.  More IPB annoying weirdness I guess.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Not a web designer / wasn't immediately aware of the non-annoying ubiquity of the little blue bootstrap labels, lol...

[quietly prays for the return of the 'bb code editor' while slowly backing out of thread]

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Not a web designer / wasn't immediately aware of the non-annoying ubiquity of the little blue bootstrap labels, lol...

[quietly prays for the return of the 'bb code editor' while slowly backing out of thread]

You can still use BB code. :)

But yes, I miss the BB code editor too. But sadly if I want to keep the forum up to date on security patches I have to upgrade the software when new releases are made. This unfortunately means having new features forced on us like the wysiwyg editor.

willie

https://vpsboard.com/discover/unread/ gets a permission error unless you are logged in when you use it.  I usually don't bother logging in unless I'm actually going to post something, rather than just reading.  So I use https://vpsboard.com/discover which seems preferable as a redirect target.  I wish it would just say which threads are updated though, instead of making an entry for every post or other action such as liking a post.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
More broken....

When NOT LOGGED IN.. and looking at the homepage...  Get a link for any thread on the left main content zone in the various forums categories:

https://vpsboard.com/topic/5153-home-network-setup/?do=getNewComment

What happens is it goes to the thread, however, it puts you at page #1.   

Add that to the list of busted non logged in users experience.. can't be positively encouraging people to join.  Simple ass stuff n00bs would even get.... IPB can again, die in a fire.  Shit company with ZERO QA testing.  

PS:  I hate IPBs new editor.. Every message I have multiple problems getting a message in.  It has become a chore so much that often I just don't bother posting.

clarity

PS:  I hate IPBs new editor.. Every message I have multiple problems getting a message in.  It has become a chore so much that often I just don't bother posting.

With you being the top poster on the forum, the sentence above is not a good thing to read. Hopefully, they will release a patch that will clear up some of the issues pretty quickly.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
With you being the top poster on the forum, the sentence above is not a good thing to read. Hopefully, they will release a patch that will clear up some of the issues pretty quickly.

It's tough, I like the forum, the folks here and especially @MannDude.  So shit talking this matter is a self punch in the mouth.  Just reached that level of necessary.

I know software paints folks into corners --- paid and upgrade happy insanity like IPB has become.

Reminds me of what Ebay did recently with their Android app--- totally redoing it to look all modern and bare and annoying...  Breaking every other feature and mass pissing off their customers.  Mass insurrection, people leaving Ebay.. Really people finally leaving Ebay....  The comments on their app are freaking non stop gold.

I know I won't ever be recommending IPB or anything else the folks over there end up making in the future unless they get their heads out of their asses and make the next turn without crashing.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Reminder about the hourly backup job @MannDude

It's taking 1 minute 9 seconds currently for that to run.  During this time, pages cease to load.

So the site is offline effectively for up to 1.9% of every hour... Just saying...

PS: I note it cause I tend to check things around start of the hour too much... and every time I get this, I freak out that the site is down and go look and test things...  yeah...

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

It's taking 1 minute 9 seconds currently for that to run.  During this time, pages cease to load.

So the site is offline effectively for up to 1.9% of every hour... Just saying...

PS: I note it cause I tend to check things around start of the hour too much... and every time I get this, I freak out that the site is down and go look and test things...  yeah...

If the DB is InnoDB tables -> adding the  --single-transaction flag to the mysqldump command  would eliminate the downtime (if you're using MyIsam you should convert to InnoDB).  

Alternatively, this script is free and opensource and works on all types of tables https://www.percona.com/software/mysql-database/percona-xtrabackup

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'll review this in more detail later.

Without rolling back software to outdated and insecure IPB platforms I can't do much about the new features people dislike.

Backups I'll re-review later. In the past I was working on correcting the issue with it hitting the server hard when backups start but the solutions offered to me at the time didn't work as intended. I'll review my options again shortly.

For those of you still using old URLs via bookmarks, I'll get some redirects setup in case you've not updated the bookmark already to reflect the new URL.

You have to be logged in to see some pages, that's nothing I can override. That's more of IPB's wonderful decision making. I'll figure out how to remove some links from guest view because they don't work and will not work. So if you don't want to login to view that page I'll work on making it so you don't even know that page exists in the first place. That's about the only compromise I have available at this time for some stuff.

Yay.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Sorry for the delay. This is fixed.

https://vpsboard.com/discover/unread/ gets a permission error unless you are logged in when you use it.  I usually don't bother logging in unless I'm actually going to post something, rather than just reading.  So I use https://vpsboard.com/discover which seems preferable as a redirect target.  I wish it would just say which threads are updated though, instead of making an entry for every post or other action such as liking a post.

That's not something I can fix. It doesn't know what you read and what you have not read unless you're logged in as a member. IPB has it setup like that and it's not something I can turn on/off. I'll figure out some random work around but IPB just really sucks.

https://vpsboard.com/discover should work for you when not logged in. Are you having issue with getting logged out? Any reason you're viewing the site as a guest? You and @drmike have commented about issues when viewing as a guest. Unsure if you two are not staying logged in due to personal preference, being logged out by the system for some reason or something else.

More broken....

When NOT LOGGED IN.. and looking at the homepage...  Get a link for any thread on the left main content zone in the various forums categories:

https://vpsboard.com/topic/5153-home-network-setup/?do=getNewComment

What happens is it goes to the thread, however, it puts you at page #1.   

Add that to the list of busted non logged in users experience.. can't be positively encouraging people to join.  Simple ass stuff n00bs would even get.... IPB can again, die in a fire.  Shit company with ZERO QA testing.  

When not logged in, IPB doesn't know what you have and have not read as far as I know. So when not logged in you're not going to go to the last thing you read in a thread as the URL may suggest. It works fine when logged in. I'm not certain this is anything I can 'fix', the best I could do is probably just update their code so if you're logged in as a guest you just never see "?do-getNewComment" anywhere in any URL.

And yeah, the editor sucks. If I could just make the old one come back I would. I can't. IPB won't. What can I do?

Fixed(ish).

amuck-landowner