amuck-landowner

VPSWiki.us

Mun

Never Forget
I am planning on starting a wiki around VPSBoard, and the providers here.

The first question is what platform do you want.

Possibilities:

MediaWiki

Dokuwiki

(Being the two big ones I know of)

Any others that you might suggest, im fully open to suggestions. 

Thanks

Mun

Last edited by a moderator:

mark

I've been experimenting with Wiki sites and having tried both, MediaWiki all the way. Dokuwiki has different formatting to MediaWiki and although there are converters around, MediaWiki is just more universal for obvious reasons.

Mun

Never Forget
I've been experimenting with Wiki sites and having tried both, MediaWiki all the way. Dokuwiki has different formatting to MediaWiki and although there are converters around, MediaWiki is just more universal for obvious reasons.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Mun

willie

I'd go for mediawiki because I'm pretty used to it.  Is there an extension to let users control individual pages?  There was another thread suggesting a vps database that hosts would update with their offers and people could browse.  It seems to me, that could also be done with a wiki page per host.  But they'd have to be able to edit their own page while not letting random people edit it.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
Mediawiki all the way.  Used it and other for other wiki projects and always returned to Mediawiki.

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
DokuWiki is great. I've managed MediaWiki before, and it is very difficult to deal with all the spam that hits MW sites. DokuWiki is spammed far less and I really like it better, to be honest.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
+1 for Dokuwiki.  MW was just a pain to configure the way we wanted it.  And being able to simply tar up the dokuwiki dir, and drop it to another machine without dealing with SQL/etc, is quite pleasant.

willie

I guess Fossil (fossil-scm.org) is the most LEB-appropriate.  It is a git/wiki/ticket system that runs in about 1 meg of ram.  It's trivial to set up and it's brilliant.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
I am planning on starting a wiki around VPSBoard, and the providers here.
@Mun I take it you have decided to stay then?

You could do the wiki in WordPress as well and use a Q/A style template. Whatever is easier to work with.

bizzard

+1 for Dokuwiki. Easy to configure, plain text storage option, less resource usage and less spam. The ACL plugin does a good job in setting permissions.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
We use Confluence :p
Do the same at work, but I'm not that impressed with the new "default" template that come with the upgrade,  I find it harder to navigate.

What I would like is an easier way to setup your own template. editing the dashboard etc...

Today, that is not supported (?) by Atlassian and done with gentle steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner